Overall Process.. How Long?

Decorating By KatyJ Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 8:49pm by yums

KatyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyJ Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 3

Just wondering what steps everyone takes in their caking process...

Like... say a fondant covered simple tiered cake due on a Saturday. Whats your total process that week?
When do YOU....
Make your icing, bake the cakes, ice them, cover them... etc.
Monday? Tuesday? Wednesday? Etc...

Just wondering if my process is.. craziness or the norm. haha. THanks icon_smile.gif

2 replies
SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 3

As a hobby baker, I personally start everything Wednesday or Thursday for a Saturday cake - depending on how complicated the cake is going to be.

Wednesday night - make ganache
Thursday morning - bake
Thursday afternoon - level, fill, ice
Thursday evening - cover in fondant, maybe start decorating
Friday whenever - stack and decorate

This doesn't take into account special decorations that need to be made in advance, though. I just do those whenever I have time in advance - days or sometimes weeks before. If I'm using buttercream instead of ganache, I prefer to make it while the cakes are cooling because I don't like the headaches of SMBC at the wrong temperature.

I also try to allow extra time to give myself some flexibility because I have a 5-year-old and a couple of 2-year-olds running around.

There's my two cents, for what it's worth! icon_smile.gif

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 3

I also am not a "professional" but this is my process.....I start on design as soon as I get the order and try to work on any gumpaste or fondant items that will time to dry. Hopefully that takes place 1-2 wks before its due. The week of....wed. I make icing and fondant. Thursday I bake the cakes. Friday I bang the rest out which generally takes 4 hrs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%