Black Fondant

Decorating By RheaCakeQueen Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 7:49pm by tamyarm

RheaCakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RheaCakeQueen Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 14

What is the best way to make black fondant? I need to cover a whole cake in black, so not looking for just a little =o) I usually make my own MMF, but have never tried making black. Thanks

icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
prue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 14

I make my own MMF too and what I do is put some cocoa powder on the melted marshmallows then add the black coloring, mix, then add it to the powdered sugar. HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by prue23

I make my own MMF too and what I do is put some cocoa powder on the melted marshmallows then add the black coloring, mix, then add it to the powdered sugar. HTH

If you have customer's or someone eating the cake that can't have chocolate (like I do) just skip the cocoa powder. As long as you add the coloring to the melted marshmallows first it won't take much coloring and no more work when you add in the powdered sugar. I have noticed though it takes a little more powdered sugar, but nothing drastic (could also depend on the weather)

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 14

I love Satin Ice - especially when I'm using black or red fondant. But if you really want to make your own, then just start with cocoa powder and then add black gel. I really recommend Americolor's super black. It's very strong.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 14

Buy Black. And red too.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 14

start with coco powder as everyone has suggested but i usually then colour mine with powdered balck and knead it in. mostly coz i make mmf in bulk and then sep[erate it for tthe different colours. =)

RheaCakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RheaCakeQueen Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for all the advice! There is not anywhere around here to buy black (that I know about anyway) and I don't have the time to order it, so I will give it a go and try to make it myself!

Cheers!

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 14

I usually buy chocolate fondant and then add a little black gel to make a nice rich black color.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 14

Does black fondant stain peoples' teeth when they eat it?

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 14

luddroth Yes, black will discolor your teeth and lips. I always tell people this when they order dark colors, just so they will be aware.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks, I thought so. Kinda nasty to have everybody at a "black & white" wedding looking like they just drank ink...

uabcjgrad2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uabcjgrad2006 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #12 of 14

there is a wonderful recipe on cakecentral for the black fondant, i was scared about making it the first time, but it turned out PERFECTLY. I was shocked that I did it the first time!

uabcjgrad2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uabcjgrad2006 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:28pm
post #13 of 14

here I found it:
True Black MMF
Ingredients

* 6 oz. of semi sweet chocolate chips (about half of a bag)
1 bag of mini marshmallows
3 tbsp. of clear Karo syrup
3 tbsp. water
1 1lb. bag of powdered sugar
gel black food coloring
Crisco

Instructions

1. Put your marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl, add the water, and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir mixture, and microwave for another minute. When marshmallows come out they will be HOT, stir again, scraping the sides with a scraper. Immerdiately add your chocolate chips, and stir until the chips are completely melted. Add your karo syrup and stir again this time with a butter knife, making sure that all of your syrup is incorporated. Add a good amount of black gel food coloring, and stir again with your knife, making sure that you scrape around the edges. Once your mixture is the blackest black that you can get, (I added about 1-2 tsp. of the gel coloring) then add about half of your bag of powdered sugar, and stir until the mixture is thick, with your knife. Grease your hands liberally with Crisco and add the rest of the powdered sugar* to the bowl. Knead your fondant until all of the powdered sugar is gone. Store for up to a month wrapped in plastic wrap, sealed in a gallon Ziploc, and stored in an airtight container.
3. *Depending on the humidity in your area it might take a little more powdered sugar, or even a little less to get the consistancy of fondant.

tamyarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamyarm Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:49pm
post #14 of 14

i just made black mmf earlier this week...just put in the black coloring in the melted marshmallows.... nothing different

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%