Pastry School...looking For Help On Where To Live In Chicago

Decorating By Jewels117 Updated 6 May 2010 , 1:23pm by Jewels117

Jewels117 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewels117 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I'm planning on applying for the Chicago French Pastry School's Cake Decorating program and, right now, the only concern I have with applying is where would I live for 16 weeks? I've checked into short-term furnished housing and extended-stay hotels and all of them are pretty pricey. I do want to stay as close to the school, as possible, and it is in downtown.

Anybody else out there going into that program? How did you go about finding a short-term place to live?

Any help or recommendations on the best (safe) areas to live around downtown I would be so appreciative!

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Julie

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 7

Downtown Chicago is outrageously expensive. I've attended multi-day classes there and I found that the cheapest way to do it was to live out in the suburbs and take the train in.

I stayed at a Marriott Towne Place out in Downer's Grove and took the train into downtown for classes. The long term rates were excellent and the train is super cheap and reliable. It took about 30 mins. each way--very relaxing--and the walk from Union Station to the French Pastry School was no more than 7 minutes. The hotel had a free breakfast, shuttle to and from the train station, swimming pool, exercise room, full kitchen, and housekeeping---LOVED IT!

HTH
Rae

Jewels117 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks Rae! That is very helpful information. And, actually, as part of the Pastry Program they provide you with a free train pass for the duration of the class and I used to take the train into L.A. on occassion, and, you're right, it is relaxing... no traffic to deal with icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

JamiMae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamiMae Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 7

Hi, my name is Jami...I"ll be in the afternoon class. I just visited Chicago last weekend from MS. I know there are alot of other options that aren't as expensive as the short term housing. Look at craigslist.. or realtor.com. There are also condos if you walk around the city that have ads in their mail rooms. I'm moving with my 2 kids, but I'm still going to try to stay in the Loop or just west or south of it bc the other neighborhoods are about the same price unless you're REALLY far away. Which class are you going to be in? I am SO excited! Are you on Facebook?

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 7

Julie, I am so excited for you, I was just telling my friend, that I would love to go to that school, but I live in Miami and I have 2 kids, so I can't just pack and go !! I wish you luck, please come and share a few tips icon_smile.gif Good luck finding housing !!!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 7

Hi Jewels and Jami -- I'm excited for both of you!!! I just wanted to offer up that, if you stay out Downer's Grove way as was suggested, let me know and I'll make you a homecooked meal!! icon_smile.gif I'm about 10 minutes away from there.

Jewels117 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much for your encouragment and advice! Sorry I didn't reply sooner... I've been staying in Nashville the past few months with a friend and things have been a bit crazy with all of the flooding throughout the city. (thankfully my friend's house wasn't affected)

Jami- when you went to the school, what did you think about it... I'm planning on trying to get out there for a visit, but have been unable to thus far. And, yes, I'm on FB... pm me and I'll give you my information icon_smile.gif

Julie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%