Newbi Question Re: High Ratio Shortening

Decorating By Debi2 Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 2:40pm by Debi2

Debi2 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 7

I have been reading alot about the benefits of using a high ratio shortening. My question is, how can I tell if a shortening is high ratio? Does it say on the container, or do I need to look for a particular ingredient?

6 replies
ceshell Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 7

It's a specialty shortening made specifically for decorators. You need to look for the brands Sweetex or Alpine, or simply for a product labeled "Hi Ratio Shortening." You won't find it at the supermarket; you'll need to go to a cake store, restaurant supply store, or order it online. Good luck with your search!

JanH Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:19am
post #3 of 7

Just what ceshell said. icon_smile.gif

Additionally, the box may also state: cake and icing shortening (Sweetex) or icing shortening (Alpine).

This info would be helpful if the hi-ratio brand isn't either of the two mentioned.

Debi2 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks ceshell and Jan for your quick replies....those are helpful tips!

I had heard of the Alpine and Sweetex, but I was hoping I would be able to find something locallly that I wouldn't have to order online and pay added shipping costs since I am only doing this as a hobby for now. I hadn't heard of the label stating "cake and icing shortening" though, that will help to know I can look for that as well.

Debi icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 7

I purchased a 50lb box of Sweetex at my local cake shop for $129. That equates to $2.58 per pound. Yes higher in price than store bought shortening, but not too much more and the results in the icing...Divine!...LOL!

deah Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 7

FYI - I just tried the CK brand hi ratio. I didn't like it because it left a slick greasy feeling in my mouth. Sharon Zambito recommends Sweetex only. She says it's the cream of the crop.

Debi2 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%