My Wine Bottle & Crate Cake

Decorating By patticake1956 Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 12:34am by idocakes4fun

patticake1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1956 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 7

I made this cake for my Uncle's 70th Birthday. He thought it was real icon_biggrin.gif I made a Pina Colada Cake with toasted coconut for the topping to look like packing material. I marbled chocolate and vanilla fondant mixed with tylose powder to allow it to get hard for the crate. The Bottle is rice krispie treats molded and covered in fondant. I made the bottle shiny by coating it with piping gel. The label is an edible image. I got this idea from the many people who posted wine cakes here in CC. Thanks to you all for your inspiration.
LL
LL

6 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 7

It's terrific!!!!! And, I agree with your uncle that it does look totally real. I hope he wasn't disappointed to find that it was cake instead of wine! icon_lol.gif

patticake1956 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 7

LOL, no he wasn't disappointed, just shocked. Thanks for checking it out and commenting.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 7

Did the piping gel dry or does it remain sticky? Also, what did you use for the red label around the cork? I have to make a wine bottle and am looking for tips.

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 7

Was this your first wine bottle cake? it is amazing, i agree it looks real! fantastic job!

patticake1956 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your great comments icon_biggrin.gif This was my first wine bottle cake and it was fun to do thanks to all the others I saw on here first. The red part of the bottle is just a strip of fondant wrapped aroung the the top as well. The piping gel did stay sticky but, it didn't matter until it had to be lifted off to cut the cake. It wasn't too bad though.

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:34am
post #7 of 7

This is beautiful! I read another thread recently where a CC'er recommended mixing vodka or everclear w/ the piping gel which would evaporate and dry the gel enough to take away the sticky. I haven't tried it though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%