First Big Project: Tailgate Cake - How Many Servings?

Decorating By Crabbabs Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 7:37pm by Tclanton

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 5

I mostly make small cakes for friends and family, but I have my first big project coming up.

A friend of a friend works in ticket sales for a baseball team. Every year he buys 200 tickets for one game and offers them to all his friends across the state. He organizes a huge tailgate and has a dj and lot of food. Because I am trying to get better at cake decorating I offered to make a cake for the tailgate. I have an idea of what to do for the cake, but I am not sure how big to make it. I am fairly certain that all of the tickets were sold - so that is 200 people at the tailgate. IMO, I dont think everyone person is going to want cake and I dont want to overestimate and have tons of cakes left over. How many servings do you think I should have?
Thanks for your help!

4 replies
Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 5

My first question is were you thinking tiered/stacked or a sheet cake?

If it's a tailgate, I think a precut sheet cake is the informal way to go.

If you go by this, one full sheet cake would serve 1/2 the amount of people the tickets were sold to:

1/4 Sheet Cake, 9 x 12, serves 12-28
1/2 Sheet Cake, 11 x 15, serves 18-40
Full Sheet Cake, 18 x 24, serves 48-108

Sheet Cakes:

1/4 sheet cake 8" x 12" = 24 servings if cut 2" x 2"
OR 16 servings if cut 2" x 3"

1/2 Sheet cake 12" x 16" = 49 servings if cut 2" x 2"
OR 32 servings if cut 2" x 3"

Full Sheet cake 16" x 24" = 96 servings if cut 2" x 2"
OR 64 servings if cut 2' x3"

I personally think I would only do one full sheet cake and decorate each square with the baseball team logo if you can. You are right, not everyone will eat cake. Would it be weird to only bring one big cake to that event? I would ask the organizer what they have done in the past. If he wants servings for 200 (wow!) then maybe cupcakes instead? Tailgate says laid back to me!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 5

how much beer will be served? that often cuts down the need for sweets.

possibly consider cupcakes as another route to go

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the help. I think I am going sheet cake route. I only have a ¼ sheet pan, but I think I might purchase a half sheet and do two different flavors.

My plan is to do a sheet cake, but cut out in the shape of a baseball diamond. I plan on decorating that minimally with buttercream bases, dirt, grass. I will also have other baseball themed items to arrange on top of the cake and are easily removable. Right now my plan is to do a baseball jersey out of fondant, similar to this cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1341363 (so cute!), a baseball, cap, and mitt out of rice crispy treat, and five figurines (the sausages from the sausage races it is Milwaukee Brewers game). I know it is a lot and something will probably get cut, but that is my plan for now.

In past years they usually dont have dessert except for some cookies. I offered to do this mainly because I wanted the experience to make a larger cake and to practice techniques. My boyfriend also thinks it a good idea to show what I can do (which isnt much yet) and to get my name out there (because I constantly talk about wanting to open a shop someday). The organizer seems really excited for it, but hasnt given any direction and I dont think he is expecting 200 servings. He isnt paying for it, I just got my ticket for free icon_smile.gif

Oh, and there will be beer aplenty!

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 5

If there is plenty of beer - I would say only make a cake to cover 125-150 people. In my experience, people who drink beer dont want the sweets until later on in the night. (just my experience)

Sounds like you have a great plan and good luck with your exposure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%