Cake Board Help!

Decorating By Katiwren Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm by BlakesCakes

Katiwren Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 10

I am trying to figure out where people get their cake boards? Not the small cardboard ones, but the thick ones that you sit your HUGE cakes on to deliver (usually it's decorated with a ribbon around the edge).

On my last cake, I ended up making my own out of foam board hot-glued together, but I was wondering what other options there are. Can I buy them or do I make them out of wood from a hardwood store? Help!

9 replies
idgalpal Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 10

Do you mean cake drums? I just ordered some from www.fondantsource.com

Sagebrush Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 10

GSA also has cake drums.

Katiwren Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you! I didn't know the name of it, but yes, it is a drum! New to cake making...guess you learn something new every day.

Thanks again!

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 10

Because cake drums, particulary large ones, are so expensive (and then you add shipping), I make my own using foamcore.

I can get a 20" round out of a single sheet of 1/2 inch foamcore for less than $5. The 1/2 inch foamcore is extremely strong and will hold a multi-tiered cake very easily. This way, I can cover it any way I want (not covering over the silver or gold foil alreay applied to drums) and I don't worry about the cost of not having it returned.

Rae

cakesbybeccam Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 10

Can you buy foamcore at Walmart or Michaels?

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 10

You can buy it at Michael's for sure--and sometimes at WalMart.

The 1/2 inch sheets are expensive, but nothing a 40% off coupon won't cure!

Rae

dalis4joe Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 10

sometime they have them at Michael's ... buy one... get one free... when they do... I buy a lot of them specially the thick ones that are like 5$ ea.

hth

leah_s Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 10

Hmmm .. . . I'm buying the drums from CK Products and get 20" ones for just a few cents more than $5 each.

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 10

Well, mine actually cost me about $2.50............because of the coupons, but since things fluctuate, I didn't want to get anyone's hopes too high..

And a single 20" drum on the countrykitchensa website (for those of us without access to their wholesale site) is $8.30 PLUS shipping........

Just providing reasonable options............

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%