Grandmothr's Birthday Cake- Need Help

Decorating By luvlaugh Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm by Tclanton

luvlaugh Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 7

I am going to make a cake for my grandmother's birthday next month and I am stuck on ideas. Any suggestions? It's going to be a white cake. With white bc. Just not sure what decorations to do.

6 replies
DebbyJG Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 7

My first thought is, what are her interests? Or her favorite flower or colors?

mama2_3 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 7

I agree. What are her interests? Does she like to sew, read, or cook? That should help with ideas. Otherwise, you can just do some pretty flowers. Does she have a favorite flower? What do you think of when you think of her. Do you have a particular memory of something that says "Grandma" to you? Does she have a pair of slippers she always wears or a treat that she always eats?

Chasey Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 7

I will be making my grandmother's 95th birthday cake and have been pondering the same thing!

I decided that she would love an old fashioned cake. Pillars, sotas or cornelli lace, ruffled swags, roses, etc. I'm doing pink piping over white buttercream and pink gumpaste roses.

It's not a modern cake by any standards, but a grandma would appreciate the old style semi-wedding cake piping I think!

Hopefully you can think of some hobbies she likes and incorporate it. (my skill level isn't good enough to recreate that stuff in gumpaste! thumbsdown.gif )

luvlaugh Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:08am
post #5 of 7

How about peach and yellow roses? And cream color dot swag? How would I make the peach and the cream colors?

Chasey Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:38am
post #6 of 7

That sounds pretty! You can make peach by adding just a bit of the Wilton copper color. I have never made cream color before because my icing is made with 100% butter and comes out "creamy" colored. icon_biggrin.gif I do know they sell an ivory color though.

Tclanton Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 7

You could use the flower that represents her birth month.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%