Black Fondant Is Cracking!

Decorating By eatdessert1st Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 5:43pm by eatdessert1st

eatdessert1st Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:58am
post #1 of 3

I bought Satin Ice black to cover a bustier cake. I had to knead in a bit of crisco to get it smooth to begin with and now I have cracks in the covered cake. icon_cry.gif I buffed it w/ a bit of black fondant and crisco and that helped a little but does anyone have any tips on what to do now? It's due this evening. I would have just done homemade choc. fondant if I'd known I'd have probs w/ the black Satin Ice. Black fondant is just hard to work with for me, lately.

Mel Mc.

2 replies
dalis4joe Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 3

Hi... that is weird... Black Satin Ice always comes nice and smooth and it's shiny... you can try to steam it.... use a clothes steamer....

Other have recommended to brush with vodka... but when I tried that.. I go streaks... so now I either brush it with shortening or steam it...

PS.. If you have confectioner's glaze... you can do 1 part glaze to 1/2 part glaze thinner and use that... it's like varnish....

hth

eatdessert1st Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for the reply! I got streaks w/ the clothes iron...time to invest in a steamer as I do work w/ fondant a lot. Hopefully no one will zero in on the boo boos. Ah, well... it's a free cake for a co-bridal shower at work. Live and learn.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%