Computer Cake

Decorating By lize Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 8:22pm by lize

lize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lize Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:59am
post #1 of 8

I am going to be attempting to make a computer cake in September... complete with keyboard, mouse and screen. Just wondering about how to make the flat screen stand up. An actual cake inside would be somewhat heavy and topple over I suspect. Was thinking of using polystyrene covered in fondant. Are there any other suggestions out there?

7 replies
TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:32am
post #2 of 8

I would suspect the easiest way would be a rice crispie sheet - they are the right size and all you would have to do is shape it a little and cover in black fondant.

Tobias

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:58am
post #3 of 8

I agree with Tobias. If you cover it with fondant, be sure it is very thin, otherwise it will weigh it down too much. Another suggestion is to cover it with black sugarveil.

lize Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:31am
post #4 of 8

I don't think we have those in NZ. I found this on amazon. Is this what you mean?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E6KBWQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:57am
post #5 of 8

Those are premade, but they are so simple to make, search for a recipe online.

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 8

Those are the ones we use - they would work great for what you are doing. You can of course make it yourself, I would simply make a recipe from here, pour them into a pan that is about the right size for your screen and then let them set. Then all you have to do is shape, cover and decorate ...

Tobias

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 8

You can readily get large sheets of thicker unfilled plain sweet wafers from some delicatessen/foreign food stores in Australia...I would think that that sort of thing covered in fondant would be great as the wafer sheets are about A4 size and have a diamond pattern on them which would give strength to the structure.

HTH!

lize Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all your ideas. I'll check out the wafers. Living in the country I don't often get to see those gourmet stores... will check it out. I definitely haven't seen the rice krispies for sale, but we often make it for parties here. Will try both out and see what works best.
Thanks everyone... it's great to get other idea's.
This is such a great system.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%