Rolled Buttercream Tips

Decorating By Setty Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 2:27am by Setty

Setty Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:11am
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

I will be attempting my first buttercream fondant covering tomorrow night and am just looking for any tips that those who have had some experience with it can give me. It's not a cake for a client so I'm not too worried about how it turns out but I'd like to tackle it with a bit of knowledge under my belt!

I have read that it needs to be rolled out between sheets of plastic with lots of icing sugar to stop it sticking, then you need to flip over the fondant and remove the bottom plastic before draping it over the cake and peeling off the top plastic icon_confused.gif Does this sound right or am I setting myself up for problems??!!

Look forward to all your helpful tips. Thanks!

4 replies
myslady Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 5

The recipe I used I rolled out good. The only complaint was that it looked greasy.

If you are using the Fondx buttercream, then I am not sure because I have only used the homemade kind with shortening, corn syrup, powdered sugar and flavoring.

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:02am
post #3 of 5

Personally I find that the rolled buttercream is too greasy, so I make the Marshmallow rolled buttercream fondant found in the recipe section. Love the taste & to work with it. Great also for decorating sugar cookies!

Becka2000 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:08am
post #4 of 5

You do need to roll it out between the plastic sheets. I don't remember using power sugar on the sheets. I used the plastic sheets to turn onto the cake.
Will be shinny compared to Fondant due to the shortening. Good Lucky

Setty Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 2:27am
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys. Didn't end up doing it but want to some time in the future. Am sure that I will develop my own method and techniques!

Quote by @%username% on %date%