Dipping Flowers In A Solution To Colour.

Decorating By Briarview Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 1:02pm by hsmomma

Briarview Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:00am
post #1 of 2

I have some white sugarpaste roses made and I want to colour them by dipping rather than dusting as the bride requires a red. I have searched on here but could not find any results regarding dipping. I know you use alcohol along with the colour and swirl them around in a jar to remove the excess colour. Has anyone info in regarding what colours are best. I tried to use a Chefmaster red airbrush colour with alcohol but it just coagulated so was useable. I do have KopyKake airbrushing colours but don't want waste any more until I have some advice. Airbrushing them does not get right into the crevices so you end up seeing the white. I hope someone can please help. Thanks

1 reply
hsmomma Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 2

I do this for roses all the time. I always make them white ahead of time and that way I can color only the ones I need for a particular cake and save the rest.
All I do is mix Everclear Alcohol (I've used vodka too) with the powder colors until I get the color I want.
Then I dip them in the color then tip them up so all the color runs into the flower and between petals. I gently shake the flower over a large trash can to remove the extra. Then I take a paintbrush and remove drips.
I hang them upside down to dry after all the extra color has been removed.
When they are dry, I brush them with petal dust or more of the colored powder. It gives them a very real look. Almost makes them have that "soft" petal appearance like a real rose.

Make sure your flowers are REALLY dry before doing this. I always try and make them the week before.

Here is a link to one of my pics where I did this. Kinda can tell by the pic. that the flowers look "soft" or kinda two tone. I think it makes them look more realistic to do it this way.

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%