Hot Hands

Decorating By luvlaugh Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm by TracyLH

luvlaugh Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:51am
post #1 of 13

I have been decorating cakes on and off for a couple of years now ( more off than on). And recently I figured out why. I have hot hands. The consistancy of the icing in the bag starts out right and then thins out after about 10 minutes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can keep the icing from thinning out too much? Thank you.

12 replies
jenng1482 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:02am
post #2 of 13

Try filling 2 identical bags. Have a shallow dish filled with ice nearby. Use 1 bag for a few minutes and then lay it on the ice and use the other. Continue switching bags every so often. HTH.
Jen

luvlaugh Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:39am
post #3 of 13

Thank you. I'll try that, next time.

redpanda Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:01am
post #4 of 13

In addition to what jenng said, I also cool my hands down when I switch bags by either running cold water over them or holding a frozen gel pack for a minute or two.

LeckieAnne Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:05am
post #5 of 13

I use my daughter's "ouch mouse" - little frozen ice cube thing. I also throw the bags on ice if necessary.

TobiasWilhelm Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:54am
post #6 of 13

You could try a different formula for the buttercream - while some turn almost to soup when they get hot, others just get a little softer, depending on the type of fat used. Remember that the melting point of butter is about 85 degrees while shorting melts between 100-110 degrees - your hands will melt one and won't melt the other.

VNatividad Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 13

I use parchment bags instead of the plastic. It helps and usually don't have a problem anymore. Another tip would be to freeze water in a pie tin. Keep it next to you while decorating and keep your bags on it and to cool off your hand.

TracyLH Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 13

Much along the same lines as what VNatividad just said, I have heard that if you use a fabric pastry bag, that will help a great deal.

allkidzmom1 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 13

I also have hot hands and have the same problem. I will be trying some of these tips. Good luck OP!!

cakesbymark Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

Much along the same lines as what VNatividad just said, I have heard that if you use a fabric pastry bag, that will help a great deal.

i have extremely hot hands, using the disposable bags are useless for me, so i had been using the featherweight bags and after a while ( 15-20 mins would thin out) till last week when i ordered the fat dadio fabric bags and not a problem at all i did 2 cakes back to back about 40-50 straight mins and not a problem at all........

jewels710 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 13

Silver lining...hot hands = less fondant kneading!!!

My hands are always cold...my daughters have hot hands and I hand over my fondant any time I need it kneaded!!!

cakesbymark Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 13

this is so true..lol

TracyLH Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

i have extremely hot hands, using the disposable bags are useless for me, so i had been using the featherweight bags and after a while ( 15-20 mins would thin out) till last week when i ordered the fat dadio fabric bags and not a problem at all i did 2 cakes back to back about 40-50 straight mins and not a problem at all........

That is so great to know! Thanks for sharing that! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%