Cricut + Scal = Big Expensive Paperweight

Decorating By karateka Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 10:36pm by Jenny0730

karateka Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 12

I spent about 6 hours today trying to cut out the simplest thing. I finally got some help from a generous woman on the sure cuts a lot forums, but it didn't end up working. It took me a ridiculous length of time to cut out a 9 letter word. Now I have a huge order to start baking tomorrow and I'm still not finished with this "simple" sheet cake order.

I think I need a full week of friggin' classes to use this contrary thing. I could have saved buckets of $$$ and a lot of frustration by just cutting out a template and doing everything by hand! I would love to know how you guys are getting so much use out of this stuff. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

11 replies
dalis4joe Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 12

Awww.. talk to Jennifer Atwood... you can PM her... she knows everything there is to know about this topic.... and she is always willing to help and assist....

It's probably something simple that you are skipping over.... Good Luck Sweetie... don't discourage... icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 12

Yeah, I'm not too enthusiastic about this either.

tarheelgirl Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 12

I was thinking of investing in this. Is Make the Cut easier to use then SCAL? I didn't want to buy a bunch of different cartridges.

ptanyer Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 12:06am
post #5 of 12

You either love it or hate it...and sometimes do both at the same time! There is a learning curve with this just like anything else. You didn't just sit down with a spatula and ice your very 1st cake absolutely smooth, right?

A lot of the frustration is in learning what mixture works for you. Don't count on using it for cakes until you have had time to experiment. And by the way, I haven't had any luck cutting anything smaller than 1" for letters, etc. Have you watch Linda McClure's video's on Youtube? Do you have any of her DVD's? Between the two I have learned alot. I am experimenting with just straight gumpaste and with fondant/gumpaste mix and fondant with gumtex. I've made a few cuts and trashed several more. The one thing I have learned is that whatever works for you, it has to be thin and allowed to age - not the same thing as allowed to dry out. Once I was able to get my gumpaste to roll out like Linda's and allowed to "age" overnight in a big baggie, it was easier to work with.

I have SCAL and I love it. But I also have Inkscape, Photoshop, and Design Studio. I only have 3 cartridges, 2 that came with the Cricut and Storybook which I purchased separately. I use them in all kinds of combinations and love what can be done.

In my cake photos there is a Duke Blue Devil that took me 3 hours to handcut last spring (don't remember how many I trashed before I got a "clean" cut). I am working on another one to cut out with the Cricut and so far it is going so much better. I'll post a photo when I get finished with it so you can see the difference.

Don't give up! Take a break, do what you can the way you did before Cricut and come back and try again. Also, have you tried using regular cardstock just to see how it can work? That helps too!

Hang in there icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 12:33am
post #6 of 12

I think MTC is a lot easier to use. You can use images from your computer or the internet without converting to SVG files.

ptanyer Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 1:45am
post #7 of 12

Until I saw the OP's questions, I completely forgot about some fondant & gumtex I had mixed up last week and rolled out and stored on a criscoed mat and stored in a large plastic bag! I went and got out both pieces, and one was really dried out and didn't give me much useable cuts. But the 2nd one I criscoed the cricut mat, removed the other piece and flipped it over face down and lightly brushed the top with a little crisco, hooked up my computer, made a couple of adjustments for the size of fondant I had rolled out and started cutting. Joy, joy, joy...a perfect Duke Blue Devil icon_biggrin.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif Am happy dancing around the kitchen.lol.

Here are 2 photos, one lying on the table and one propped up to cut the glare.

You can do it too!
LL
LL

TobiasWilhelm Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:47am
post #8 of 12

karateka: What exactly is it doing or rather not doing? Can you send pictures? There is a learning curve with SCAL and MTC, no doubt. I personally like SCAL, but Jennifer tells me that's just the geek in me coming out. She is working on a side-by-side comparison of the two. We've been crazy busy preparing for classes, shows, holidays, etc.

For what its worth, sometimes huge problems can be fixed in just a few minutes. I went and trained the decorators at a big bakery in Los Angeles and when I got there they were ready to take the Cricut and give it to Goodwill. By the time I left that afternoon they were cutting out their own scrolls.

PM or call me and I'll do my best to help - my phone number is on Jennifer's blog at www.cuttingedgecakeart.com

Tobias

karateka Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasWilhelm

karateka: What exactly is it doing or rather not doing? Can you send pictures? There is a learning curve with SCAL and MTC, no doubt. I personally like SCAL, but Jennifer tells me that's just the geek in me coming out. She is working on a side-by-side comparison of the two. We've been crazy busy preparing for classes, shows, holidays, etc.

For what its worth, sometimes huge problems can be fixed in just a few minutes. I went and trained the decorators at a big bakery in Los Angeles and when I got there they were ready to take the Cricut and give it to Goodwill. By the time I left that afternoon they were cutting out their own scrolls.

PM or call me and I'll do my best to help - my phone number is on Jennifer's blog at www.cuttingedgecakeart.com

Tobias

Thank you, Tobias! You will definitely hear from me. I could really, really, use some help.

TracyLH Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 12

Wow! I only do cookies, but just saw this and it is very impressive!

tarheelgirl Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 12

Very cool Blue Devil! Too bad they won the championship.. icon_biggrin.gif

SCAL is definitely looking better! Hopefully I can figure it out.

Jenny0730 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

Very cool Blue Devil! Too bad they won the championship.. icon_biggrin.gif

SCAL is definitely looking better! Hopefully I can figure it out.

thumbs_up.gif hehehe

This hoosier is still heartbroken over the loss! icon_cry.gif

Great job on the blue devil!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%