How To Incorporate Both Colours With This Design?

Decorating By Relznik Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm by Relznik

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 6

I wonder if some of the more experienced cake designers here could help, please? (see, I still consider myself a cake maker, not designer!)

I've had an email enquiry:

Hi

I am planning to get married on the 16th October 2010 in [local area].

I am just looking around for some quotes on some wedding cake designs i like and was wondering if you would help?

Here are the cake designs i like.... very simple white icing with a thin intricate pipe design... The theme of our wedding is fuschia pink and orange, so we would like that incorporated in the cake.

We are looking at about 350 guests.

I don't now what else i need to ask or what other information you may need.

But feel free to get in contact with me.

And these are the cake pics she attached. They're beautiful, and unfortunately I don't know who they're by....

I know that the two colours do go together... I've Googled fuscia and orange and there are lots of things of those colours together and they look fine. But I'm wondering how you can incorporate BOTH colours into this type of design? It's not a wacky, funky cake... with all that piping, even though the colours are bright, it's still has an elegant feel to it.

Any ideas would be most welcome! Thank you.

Suzanne x
LL
LL

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 6

instead of piping think stencils

http://www.designerstencils.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Cakes

also available through Global Sugarart http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=675&s=&name=Stencils

then could:

1) mush a mixture of the two colors through the stencil giving a marbled effect the design.

or...

could do fuchsia as ribbon and orange as stencil or vice versa

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 6

The trick is going to be incorporating the two colors into a cohesive design. On the mendi design on the top cake I would use the fuchsia to do the basic designs of the paislies and scrolls, and the orange to do all the little dots and details. On the floral one on the bottom, I would do the vegetation in orange, the floral in fuchsia, and use fuchsia ribbon borders.

I've been to a wedding with these colors, lots of Indian fabrics and summer flowers like zinnias and gerbera daisies--it was very striking.

Relznik Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

instead of piping think stencils

http://www.designerstencils.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Cakes

also available through Global Sugarart http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=675&s=&name=Stencils

then could:

1) mush a mixture of the two colors through the stencil giving a marbled effect the design.

or...

could do fuchsia as ribbon and orange as stencil or vice versa

Thanks, Doug. My biggest problem isn't necessarily the piping (I don't profess to be the world's best, but I could probably do well enough for this type of design)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwnest

The trick is going to be incorporating the two colors into a cohesive design. On the mendi design on the top cake I would use the fuchsia to do the basic designs of the paislies and scrolls, and the orange to do all the little dots and details. On the floral one on the bottom, I would do the vegetation in orange, the floral in fuchsia, and use fuchsia ribbon borders.

Yes, that's what I was having a problem with... getting both colours into the design. I have to admit, I'd feel more comfortable doing the floral design (simply because I don't have any experience of mendi). Going by the bride's name, I don't get the impression that she's of Asian heritage.

Thanks for your replies. icon_biggrin.gif

supermama322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermama322 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 6

I think it would be pretty to have the piping fade from fuchsia to orange (top fading to bottom) or vice versa. Maybe have the ribbon fade up with the piping as well. I think that would look nice but I am like you, maker, not designer. I have just started to be able to design a cake idea from scratch without help from CC.

Relznik Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermama322

I think it would be pretty to have the piping fade from fuchsia to orange (top fading to bottom) or vice versa. Maybe have the ribbon fade up with the piping as well. I think that would look nice but I am like you, maker, not designer. I have just started to be able to design a cake idea from scratch without help from CC.

Ooooh... that's another lovely idea! Thank you. I always seem to have a preference to go lighter at the top and then darker towards the bottom, so would probably suggest orange, changing to the bright pink as you go down the cake!!

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%