Pillow Pans

Decorating By 3dlovely Updated 15 May 2010 , 3:25am by cake-queen

3dlovely Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 40

I hope I am in the right forum to post this --

Has anyone seen the new Wilton 3 Tiered Pillow Wedding Cake Pan Set (4 piece)?

I found it on eBay and right now only one seller carries it. I'm hoping one of the craft stores gets it soon so I can use a coupon because the set is almost $40.00. It does looks interesting though. There are three sizes of pillow pans (6-3/4", 10" and 13-1/4") and a heating core. I know I do not have the skill to carve a cake into a pillow, but this just might be what I need.

39 replies
KHalstead Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 40

pillows are THE EASIEST carve cakes you can possibly do!! Trust me, I've even carved some!!!! (so you KNOW they gotta be easy!!)

cvigil Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 40

I haven't done one yet, but hope to soon. I think the pans are a bit too pricey for me though.

Teenz Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 40

I have to agree with KHalstead they are very simple to carve. You cant really get it wrong! Pillows come in all shapes and sizes.
I say you give it a go, there lots of fun =)

shearpamela Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 40

Is it hard to get the fondant to stick to the underside of the pillows? That is what is holding me back ...
Also, do you carve them frozen?

Teenz Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 40

I used ganache under my fondant, and just brush the ganache with some syrup before I stick fondant to it.
I did freeze my cake before i carved but it would be even easier if I had of!
I just flipped the whole cake over after its carved covered the bottom with one piece of fondant flipped it back over and covered the top, probably an easier way but it worked for me.

moralna Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 40

I just ordered the 3-pan set.

3dlovely Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 40

moralna -- did you get them from eBay or find someplace with a better price? I can't find them anywhere but eBay. I can't wait to hear how you like them. I am so excited for you!

moralna Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 40

Note sure how much they were on e-bay, but I got them from customcakessupply.com for $39. I ordered it yesterday afternoon and just got notice that they had already been shipped.

3dlovely Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 40

Thank you! I had never heard of that site. They have so much. This could be very dangerous (but fun).

tame Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 40

I may buy them.

Angelfire3 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 40

I was wondering why this pan set is not available on Wilton's website. I mean if it's from Wilton, shouldn't it be on the Wilton website?

moralna Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:45pm
post #13 of 40

I thought the same thing; then I thought that perhaps it's not a new set at all, but a very old, discontinued set???? Not sure.

tame Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:35pm
post #14 of 40

Just came out 2010

Angelfire3 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:37pm
post #15 of 40

OK, just checking b/c I'm considering getting one.

samona Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:05pm
post #16 of 40

This is a new product however wilton doesn't realease their new products until the middle of May on their website or in stores such as Michaels/Hobby Lobby. Michaels will be selling this pan when they reset the new stuff the 2nd week of May along with the Cricut cake and duff fondant (satin ice).

sillywabbitz Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:20pm
post #17 of 40

Maybe I'm lazy but I love the idea of this pan. I usually don't like specialty pans because I don't use them enough but I love the pillow cakes and feel you can do numerous designs with them. Plus no crumbs from carving, their a nice shape, and I think it would be cute to just do the top layer on top of a square or round bottom for a little bit of funky. I'd pay $22 for these pans (coupon required of course)icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif I know what I'll be buying in May. Thanks for the update!

blessedist Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 10:17pm
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Maybe I'm lazy but I love the idea of this pan. I usually don't like specialty pans because I don't use them enough but I love the pillow cakes and feel you can do numerous designs with them. Plus no crumbs from carving, their a nice shape, and I think it would be cute to just do the top layer on top of a square or round bottom for a little bit of funky. I'd pay $22 for these pans (coupon required of course)icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif I know what I'll be buying in May. Thanks for the update!

lol, exactly how I felt!!

Angelfire3 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 10:52pm
post #19 of 40

In all honesty, it's not being lazy at all. It's called working smarter, not harder. If you can get a pillow-shaped cake pan, why not use it? The less time it takes to carve a cake, the more time you have to make more for your clients.

I'm not a professional baker, but if I did decide to go into business, I would definitely use shaped cake pans.

Using shaped pans doesn't make anyone less of a baker than those who do carve; and carving a cake doesn't make anyone a better baker than those who don't.

It's the same concept with doctored cake mixes vs scratch. I doctor my cake mixes. And when I do bake for people, they tell me that my cupcakes/cakes are the most moist, delicious and best they've ever eaten. So, why not? If you got it, use it.

tame Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:35am
post #20 of 40

Okay, Here is a update on the pans I went into my local cake supplier to pick up some boxes for a cake that i have to do for sat and guess what that had the wilton pillow pans for $47.99 and I brought them because we had just dicuss it earlier on here. I guess it's some of the new products wilton has out and just have not posted it to their web-site yet. I bet micheals or walmart may have them too!!!

cupcake_cutie Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:53am
post #21 of 40

I've been wanting to try to do a pillow cake. I'm going to have to look at Micheals the next time that I go.

Angelfire3 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:57am
post #22 of 40

I just got back from Wal*Mart and they don't have the new pans. I usually have to go to Michael's or AC Moore to get my Wilton products b/c my Wal*Mart sucks. Let us know how your cakes turn out.

gscout73 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:59am
post #23 of 40

I just found them on another site and they look really nice. I have to admit, I have not attempted a pillow cake because I know that if I tried to carve a pillow cake I would not make it symetrical icon_surprised.gif and would end up starting with a 10" square and end up carving from side, icon_confused.gif to side, to side icon_twisted.gif and go around so many tapedshut.gif times it would end up probably 4". icon_mad.gifthumbsdown.gif

Sandy

tmcakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:09am
post #24 of 40

can someone post a link to where I can see a pic of them! Thanks

gscout73 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #25 of 40

Ok, I forgot to ask this... If Wilton does not release thier products until May, wouldn't they tell thier licenced sellers to wait? Wouldn't Wilton want first crack at sales? Does this sound right?

Sandy

tame Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:51am
post #26 of 40

I seen the picture on ebay at first, when someone posted about seeing the pans on there

blessedist Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #27 of 40

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Wilton-3-TIERED-PILLOW-WEDDING-CAKE-PAN-SET-4-piece_W0QQitemZ250599753221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a58e8c605

here's a pic

Also, this Ebayer has a good bit of new things from Wilton that I guess will all be in the May release

Debi2 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:04pm
post #28 of 40

So, do you have to make two cakes per layer (pillow) and only invert one to get the shape of the finished pillow? That's what it looks like to me and I just wanted to be sure I was visualizing it correctly icon_smile.gif

blessedist Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #29 of 40

Debi2, that's what I was wondering as well....maybe some of the few that have already bought them can let us know

tame Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #30 of 40

Yes you would have to make two cakes per pan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%