Different Flavor Tiers

Decorating By happigolucki35 Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 12:52am by happigolucki35

happigolucki35 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 4

I just started doing wedding cakes, and was recently asked about having a different flavor cake for each tier. Is this some you do and do you charge for it? What do you think would be a fair price for such a request?
Thanks

3 replies
prterrell Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 4

You mean a surcharge for doing different flavored tiers? No.

KHalstead Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 4

I charge an additional fee of $5.00 per xtra flavor. So if it's a 5 tiered cake and they want 3 tiers white and 2 tiers chocolate, it's only a $5.00 charge (1 xtra flavor).

I do this ONLY because it causes more time to stop, wash out bowls, beaters, etc. before going to the next flavor and I inevitably always have a little waste, and this just offsets that cost of wasted batter (say I nee a 6" chocolate, an 8" white, a 10" yellow, etc............I would have extra chocolate batter, and a little extra yellow batter as well (6" uses less than 1 batch of batter for 2 layers, and my 10" uses a little more than 2 batches of cake batter for 2 layers)

Where as if they were all the same flavor, I could continue to mix, pour, bake, etc. and have very little waste in the end.

happigolucki35 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 12:52am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I charge an additional fee of $5.00 per xtra flavor. So if it's a 5 tiered cake and they want 3 tiers white and 2 tiers chocolate, it's only a $5.00 charge (1 xtra flavor).

I do this ONLY because it causes more time to stop, wash out bowls, beaters, etc. before going to the next flavor and I inevitably always have a little waste, and this just offsets that cost of wasted batter (say I nee a 6" chocolate, an 8" white, a 10" yellow, etc............I would have extra chocolate batter, and a little extra yellow batter as well (6" uses less than 1 batch of batter for 2 layers, and my 10" uses a little more than 2 batches of cake batter for 2 layers)

Where as if they were all the same flavor, I could continue to mix, pour, bake, etc. and have very little waste in the end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%