Smashed Effect On Cake????

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm by JCE62108

JCE62108 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 8

I have a request to make a cake that looks as if a bowling ball has smashed into the side of it. Im not totally sure how to pull this off.

My first thought is to carve out a crazy piece in the side of the cake, then finish it off similar to the cake slice cakes where you can see the inside of it, then somehow have icing look like its messed up around the edges, maybe even flying off the cake. Im not totally sure how to make the icing look messed up if Im doing it out of fondant. Maybe I should just squirt some buttercream around the bowling ball and sides of cake?

If someone asked you to do this, how would you go about it? Also, if you know of a photo somewhere, maybe you can direct me to it. I tried looked up photos of smashed cakes on this site and I just found a bunch of actual cake disasters. lol. Im going to do some more searching, but I thought Id see what you guys had to say about this. icon_smile.gif

Here is the photo she gave me for inspiration. I have no clue if it's a napkin or what, but hopefully this will give you an idea of what Im trying to go for.....
LL

7 replies
Doug Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 8

yes -- cut out a section of a tall round tier. (does she want life size bowling ball? will ball be real or cake?)

for the splat -- sheets of gumpaste or fondant cut and formed, then allowed to harden and placed in the cutout. flying bits fondant on wires.

the trick will be finding the big enough round sphere to shape form/dry the sheets on -- a beach ball perhaps or some other large sports ball?

JCE62108 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 8

Im still getting the details from her about the bowling ball. Im not sure yet if she wants a life sized one made out of cake, or perhaps a smaller version made with RKT. Thank you for the input Doug!!!

DianeLM Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with Doug's suggestions. Here's a cake I did with a 'splash' effect created pretty much as Doug described.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1394617⊂=1394620

JCE62108 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 8

Oh WOW! What a perfect example! Thank you Diane! Ive got a fishing cake to do around the same time and I could use the same effect for that as well. Oh you guys are awesome. I think I just needed to see an example because trying to visualize it in my head wasnt working too well. Your avatar cake is GORGEOUS, btw. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 8

Awesome! So glad I could help!

ncbert Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 8

I'm excited to see the pic when it's done. I need to do a bowling cake soon for my nephew and he would think that is the coolest idea! icon_cool.gif

JCE62108 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 8

This isnt until the 24th but Ill post it when Im done. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%