Jem Deep Frills F3A & F3B

Decorating By Polkadot79 Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 7:42pm by Loucinda

Polkadot79 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 12

My sis-n-law gave these to me with some other cutters as a Christmas gift, but I've yet to figure out how to use them. Any advice or pictures of cakes that they were used on?

11 replies
alvarezmom Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 12

These look a bit like the frill cutters I got from SugarEd (Sharon Z.). I have only used them once since I got them. Look at the Dora cake I have in my photo gallery. You can use them as borders...

Polkadot79 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 12

I've thought about that method, but since these have such an odd shape, I'm not sure how borders would work.

Frill cutters are usually used with a ball tool and fluffed out, right? I'm just having a hard time imagining these used that way.

alvarezmom Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 12

Here is the link to Sharon's site. The cutters I have have some weird shapes..looks to "girly" for me, but they actually look really nice. I played around with them the day I made the cake.

Rylan Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 12

I love using this as borders on my boards. I used it on my competition and blue cake. It thought it gave the board a much better look.

Polkadot79 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 12

I wonder if I could use some of my stamps to make an impression in the fondant before cutting to give kind of a lace effect that comes from the molds. I don't have any molds although I love the look of the molds.

jjkarm Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 12

I used one on this cake....

I've also used smaller cutters and piping tips on them to make more of a lacy effect on the border.

Polkadot79 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 12

That's beautiful! I'm anxious to experiment with them instead of them sitting in the container.

MamaScooby Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 12

Hi, I have used both these cutters on some of my cakes. I like them very much. I made a gold gift box cake with them and the four cakes that are all together I also used them and the the wedding cake which was I made in class I also used them. You can put dagree on them or use other cutters and make them look like lace. They have many possibilities. Hope that helps

Polkadot79 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 10:52pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks for the ideas. I think I've been thinking too deep into them instead of just using them as what they actually are -- cutters.

alvarezmom Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 12

jjkarm-lovely cake!!!

I bet you could do a over-lay of the cutters...I'd try them out with diffrent colors (fondant).

Loucinda Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 12

I agree - gorgeous cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%