Fondant/tylo Powder Shoes Breaking

Decorating By JackRussellJulie Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 9:14pm by Dawanka

JackRussellJulie Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 5

Hi guys. (First post for help, be gentle icon_biggrin.gif )

I have purchased the jem shoe cutter and have made a few shoes with a fondant/tylo powder mix. they always dry well but when I transport them tend to break across the bridge. Doesn't happen with gumpaste but it is so much more expensive and a waste of money for practicing with!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the mixture stronger or should I just stick to gumpaste?

Any help would be much appreciated thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
bashini Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, I think I would stick to gumpaste. I use to make them with fondant mix with cmc, but when the weather is hot it tends to break.

tiggy2 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 5

How thin are you rolling the sole and how are you transporting them. To transport I lay mine on their side, in a small box, on top of layers of crumpled paper towels or kleenex and attach on site.

JackRussellJulie Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the replies.

The soles are quite thick (about 4-5mm) and i had them in a tin with lots of tissue paper.

Perhaps I should stick to gumpaste. Going to try making my own as this will be much cheaper than premade. Wish me luck!

Dawanka Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 5

I have made two shoes and both have broke and there thick and gumpast its always in the same place where the arch is I don't know what's wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%