Dummy Cake And Real Cake In One?

Decorating By CutieMcCakes Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 8:27pm by leily

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding coming up in a couple of months. The bride wants a big topsy turvy cake, but they are only inviting 40 people at most. They want a tall cake. I was thinking of doing 12", 10", 8" and 6" real cake tiers on top of a 14" dummy cake. Will this work putting the real cake on top of the dummy cake? Do I need to put supports in the dummy cake to support the other tiers?

3 replies
Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 4

Hi

I've mixed real cakes with dummy cakes before but I put the dummies on the top. Although they are solid they are very light so I only had to use dowels in the real part, it felt safer putting the heavier cake at the bottom.

It was easier when it came to cutting it too, the dummies were taken off the top with all the lovely decorations still in tact.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Lyndsey xx

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 4

I did this with my daughter's birthday cake. It is the stacked cupcake, cake, present cake in my photos. I did not use any supports in the dummy cake which was on the bottom. HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 4

I have also done this. This cake here had the bottom layer a dummy and everything else was cake.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1397584

I don't recall putting any dowels in the dummy cake, I just set the next cake on top and then used dowels through the rest of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%