Filling Recipe Hat Goes With Strwbrry Srtcke...

Baking By dalis4joe Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 4:47am by dalis4joe

dalis4joe Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 14

Customer wants a strawberry shortcake... not sure what the filling should be... it's for his wife.. she doesn't like buttercream.. I suggested whipped chocolate ganache... but what would be a good filling???

Please help me.... I need to start this cake TODAY!

He is all over the place with this... and nothing I tell him... he is like "well I dunno if she would like this or that.... help!!!

13 replies
KHalstead Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 14

cheesecake mousse.........goes with everything!!

2 cups liquid Rich's bettercreme
1-3.4 oz. box of cheesecake pudding mix
1 cup of milk

whip it all together, shelf stable at room temp. for 5 days!

dalis4joe Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

cheesecake mousse.........goes with everything!!

2 cups liquid Rich's bettercreme
1-3.4 oz. box of cheesecake pudding mix
1 cup of milk

whip it all together, shelf stable at room temp. for 5 days!

nice!!!

2 cups liquid Rich's bettercreme Where can I get that?????

whip for how long?

dalis4joe Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 14

How true it this statement????

Advertisement

You are here: Experts > Food/Drink > French Cuisine > Desserts > whipped icing

Desserts - whipped icing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Expert: Anne Welch - 11/13/2003

Question
hi...how can i make the whipped type icing that bakeries use...like a whipped cream type frosting but it really holds up well...whats the secret ?

Get the answer below
Sponsored Links
Rich's Business Directory
Rich's B2B databases. Try a free search. Call 800-969-7424
www.RichsData.com

ISI Whip Cream Makers
Quality Makers For Kitchen & Bar. Place Order Online at Low Prices!
www.CreamRight.com

Cool Whip vs. Reddi-Wip
See the Comparison & Choose Whipped Topping With Real Cream & No Oils!
www.ReddiWip.com

Cream Chargers, N2O
Cream Whippers, BeaterBlades & Pro KitchenAid-All Sizes-BesT Prices!
housewaresvalueseekers.com

Answer
The Secret is.......
that they buy in specialty bakery products from a bakery supplier, which aren't readily available to the home baker! You wouldn't believe all the cool stuff that we bakery professionals can use to make our products really good. I'd like to say that it's "all skill", and sometimes it is, but a lot of the time, it's the fact that we have access to ingredients and products that home bakers don't even know exist.

In the case of the whipped type icing you talk about, it's one of those products we can get from our supplier. It's called Rich's Bettercreme, and it's NON DAIRY, which explains why it holds up so well.
Here's a link to it:
http://richs.com/bakerydeli_products_1.asp

At home, you can make whipped cream and add a powdered stabilizer to it....it comes in little packets and it's in the baking section of the grocery store......I think it's called "Whip-It" if I remember right....it's been a long time since I've bought any.
OR
You can buy good ol' non dairy Cool Whip and use that. Technically, it's not a whole lot different from Rich's Bettercream....holds up well too.

all4cake Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 14

If you have a Sam's Club nearby, you can purchase a bucket (5 gallon...but it freezes well and long too) of bettercreme(whipped icing) pre-whipped. Beat 4 ounces of cream cheese, 1/2 stick of softened butter...add once package of cream cheese instant pudding (dry)(can omit pudding mix and simply add 1/2 cup powdered sugar) and 1/2 cup whipping cream/or milk/or combination of the two....beat until well mixed. mix (don't beat in too long though) in some of the thawed (overnight in fridge) pre-whipped Bettercreme, starting with 3 cups...add more if you want it less cheesecakey tasting. refrigerate until ready to use. Leftovers can be frozen and thawed overnight, restirred and used at a later time.

dalis4joe Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 14

ok.... is that recipe diffrent from the previous one? or is it still the cheesecake mousse filling?

Can someone reccomend a true and tried strawberry short cake recipe.... thanks so much... I have to write all this lol

all4cake Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 14

It's different but similar...

the one khalstead posted uses the liquid Bettercreme (which, unless I place an online order, is not readily available to me), mine uses the pre-whipped Bettercreme (which is available at my nearest (25 miles) Sam's Club. Mine also includes some cream cheese.

The recipe I added (cream cheese,butter, powdered sugar) is the base I use for a multitude of mousse-like fillings simply by changing the 'additions' like caramel or peanut butter or preserves or or or....

KHalstead Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 14

I buy the liquid Rich's bettercreme at my local cake supply store, also at GFS (Gordon Food services) you can check their site to see if there is a location near you.

dalis4joe Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 14

Ant one willing to share their strawberry cake recipe? I searched... but not sure which to pick out of all the ones posted.... helppp

dalis4joe Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 14

ok... this order is starting to GET to ME!

This is a male making a cake order for his daugther's b-day and his Wife's Surprise Birthday party

Well he called thursday... asked if I did red velvet... I said yes... he asked for both cakes in red velvet.... so from thursday through sat we discussed the sketches... kinda finikky (sp?) for a man.... first he asked fr a cheerleader cake... then changed to a cake with circles all around...

ok so today he calls to tell me (BTW: "This is ALL DUE BY FRIDAY") he wants to change the flavor for his wifes cake.... he doesn't want red velvet both days... so little miss stupid here... says .... why sureeeee np!!!

Well.. he starts... well... i dunno what she likes... wellllll she hates buttercream...
so I ask... how about chocolate... nahhhh she is not crazy about chocolate....

so he decides of strwbrry... now he is debating what filling to have....

then the topper... he DOESN'T LIKE THE DRESS THAT i SKETCHED FOR THE TOPPER... then he doesn;t like the border that i did for the other cake...

so I tried to be nice and accomodate everything but obiously he is NOT satisfied... now
DH said... just tell him that we took a last minute double order just because both cakes were red velevet with the same filling.... so take it or leave it...

I told DH I would give him until 4... if he doesn't answer... then:
Should I canc the ordr?
Should I tell him he needs to get either red velevet of yellow cake... it's too late for specialty cakes
Should I wait for him to tell me what dress to put on the topper?????

This is my first very first DIFFICULT CLIENT..... and I have a headache and I am stressed and I resent the fact that I have been on hold all day because I can't start anything until he decides... (I have other orders to fill u know!!!)

I need some advice... some string advice!!!

prterrell Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 14

Um....the filling in a strawberry shortcake is strawberries and the icing is whipped cream. Anything else isn't strawberry shortcake.

dalis4joe Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:03am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Um....the filling in a strawberry shortcake is strawberries and the icing is whipped cream. Anything else isn't strawberry shortcake.

duuuhhh I am sooooo bruta! lol... ? do u use a regular cake for the cake? or does it need to be a sponge cake?

prterrell Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:12am
post #13 of 14

Well, traditionally, the "cake" part is kind of like a cross between a biscuit and a scone...I use my standard vanilla butter cake recipe for mine, though, and always get rave reviews.

dalis4joe Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:47am
post #14 of 14

thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%