Mmf Cowboy Hat Help!!

Decorating By cznycstr713 Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 4:11am by cheatize

cznycstr713 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:14am
post #1 of 7

Ok so the 5 cakes Imade so far I've made with MMF, but what I have noticed is that it gets very soft. I have a cake order to do a cowboy hat but I am afraid if I prop it up it wont stay, any suggestions on what it will make it sturdy but pliable?

6 replies
cakesrock Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 7

I would cover it in ganache instead of buttercream. It hardens very nicely and gives you good edges. It's nice to work with, tastes good and spreads like peanut butter. I tried it on my boot cake and it was excellent! Check out this link.
http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/
Good luck! icon_smile.gif

cznycstr713 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 7

thank you for that recipe, im going to try it. but maybeI should have been more specific, I was talkign about the rim of the hat. the fondant is too soft and won't prop up, you know how a rim of a cowboy hat is bent at the edges? Thats what I am trying to achieve. Thanks for yur help

KimAZ Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 7

You can add Tylose powder to the MMF and it will harden up faster too.

Make the brim and prop up the edges to the shape you want with cotton balls to dry. I use MMF all the time and generally it's dry enough to use within one day.

KimAZ

LeckieAnne Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 7

I made one once and actually wrapped the cowboy hat I was using as a "model" with saran wrap and dried the fondant upside down on the hat itself. It took several days to dry hard enough to stay up on it's own.

cakesrock Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cznycstr713

thank you for that recipe, im going to try it. but maybeI should have been more specific, I was talkign about the rim of the hat. the fondant is too soft and won't prop up, you know how a rim of a cowboy hat is bent at the edges? Thats what I am trying to achieve. Thanks for yur help

You could probably still achieve that with the ganache, but you may want to do the rim in RKT or the fondant/tylose mix, as KimAZ said. Good luck!

cheatize Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:11am
post #7 of 7

I tried MMF, MMF mixed with gum-tex, and finally: modeling chocolate. Modeling chocolate was the only thing that worked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%