Summer Wedding Cake Flavors

Decorating By Braaatz Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 6:09pm by Kellbella

Braaatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Braaatz Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #1 of 7

Help! I'm doing a cake for my cousins wedding in july and she has no idea what she wants. I have no idea what the typical flavors are for that time of year or what i should suggest for her to taste. I am just starting out and she has offered to help get my cakes out there by paying me for this wedding cake. But i am so lost. I've got the decorating down to a T but as for the filling and type of cake to do for her....i am stumped. Please, if you could direct me in the right direction...lol...i would sooooo greatly appreciate it!
Thanks
LL

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #2 of 7

To me cake flavors are not seasonal. I like white cake in the winter just as much as I do in the summer, and so do most people. I hate pumpkin cake in the fall as much as I hate it in the spring.

Ask her what kind of cake she likes; what kind of cake her guests will like.

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:37am
post #3 of 7

I dont know much about popular flavors but I say Chocolate...I bet maybe only one out of a hundred people who wont like chocolate and it practically matches alot of other flavors. There is White cake with any kind of raspberry filling, it has been a VERY popular flavor all year around. Lemon is very summer-ish, refreshing in ways...do a lemon curd with a butter cake or white cake. sometimes simple is best...satisfying and easier on your brain. =)

Since you have a beach theme cake...is that why you had that picture? If it were me I pick something very tropical, something mango, coconut or pineapple...but I also have to be careful because people may have allergies or very picky about these flavors...

Braaatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Braaatz Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks So Much for the help. Yeah i added the picture to the post because i think she wants a flavor to go with the cake. I think she is going more tropical and i'm not sure what to do. What recipie do you suggest? If i use fruit in the filling would i need to keep the cake in the fridge and is it ok to put a cake covers in fondant in the fridge?

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 7

Yes to refridgerating any fruit fillings and ok to put fondant covered cake in fridge. How about a lemon flavored cake with lemon curd filling or coconut cake with a key lime filling? Something tropical would be fun. I wouldn't make a heavy chocolate fudge cake though... but IndyDeb is right ask the bride what she would like icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 7

It depends on the filling as to whether you need to keep it in the fridg. I try to stay away from fillings that need special attention. There are the fruit fillings that come in the bags, you order online or at a cake store, that don't have to be handled in the frig. I also do fruit fillings by using a jar of fruit preserves or jam (whatever flavor I want) and a pkg of the same fruit jello. I take the jar of jam and put in the micro for about 30 seconds to warm up, dump the powdered jello in the jam, stir til disolved and then pop it in the frig or counter until I am ready to use. So easy, so simple, no special requirements and the possibilities are endless!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

It depends on the filling as to whether you need to keep it in the fridg. I try to stay away from fillings that need special attention. There are the fruit fillings that come in the bags, you order online or at a cake store, that don't have to be handled in the frig. I also do fruit fillings by using a jar of fruit preserves or jam (whatever flavor I want) and a pkg of the same fruit jello. I take the jar of jam and put in the micro for about 30 seconds to warm up, dump the powdered jello in the jam, stir til disolved and then pop it in the frig or counter until I am ready to use. So easy, so simple, no special requirements and the possibilities are endless!

I like your jello idea thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%