How Do You Make This Flower & Pricing The Cake?

Decorating By 4sweet Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 4:12pm by costumeczar

4sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4sweet Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #1 of 8

Hi, every one ,i was asked to make cake like this one i do not know how to make this flower, cake needs to feed 200. Also what to charge.
Thank you!
LL

7 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:17am
post #2 of 8

It looks like a rose with frilled edges and more petals. I'm thinking make it that way and you'll be right in there.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermama322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermama322 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:10am
post #4 of 8

Heyyyyy that looks like a flower I thought I invented... LOL! My first ever gumpaste flowers (and the only ones so far!) and I wanted to do a peony or something.. I just used a couple frilly petal cutters and rose petal cutters and frilled the edges like a PP said. Kept layering them.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 8

The price would really depend on if you're going to put fondant under those flowers or buttercream. And you have to decide how much you're going to charge per rose.

Good luck!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

And you have to decide how much you're going to charge per rose.

Not only that, but How many roses are you going to need? What sizes are you planning on using for each tier? There will need to be some math done on the qty of roses.

I don't make flowers so can't help with that pricing, but my base price for buttercream cake for 200 (of course i charge for actual servings so my price would probably be a little more depending on size of tiers) would be $400, then add on the price of flowers.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 8

The description on the dallas/Martha site says it is made by Sylvia Winestock and that they are 'frilly' roses.
As for pricing what do you charge for any tiered cake in b'cream? What about fondant? per serving I hope icon_smile.gif
I don't know that I would charge extra 'per rose'. There is NO other decorating involved...just ice the cake and stick on the roses icon_smile.gif
I'd probably charge something like $50 over what I normally charge for a 200 serving cake (or however close to 200 you come) then tack on another 50.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 8

Make one of the roses and time yourself. Now multiply it by the number of roses that you'll need. What's your hourly wage? Multiply the numnber of hours it will take you by that. That's how much "extra" you should charge on top of the cost of the cake. I think that if you charge $50 extra you'll be working for something like $1 an hour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%