Spongebob 3D Cake

Decorating By JaidynsMama410 Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm by JaidynsMama410

JaidynsMama410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaidynsMama410 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:07am
post #1 of 11

Can anyone help me out with trying to make a stacked 3D Spongebob cake? My son's birthday is this weekend and I'm trying to get together ideas on how to build him. I want him sitting up like many of the cakes I've seen here on CC. So any tips would be appreciated! icon_smile.gif Also, can I stack a cake that has lemon filling in between the layers???

10 replies
pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:30am
post #2 of 11

This is the same answer I gave to someone that asked this question before "I will cut my sheet cake on three even layers, put some filling and put each one on top of the other, then I will place three dowels on each side and one in the middle for support, after that carve the cake to make the spongebob shape, ice your cake with some crusting buttercream and finally roll your fondant and cover it not too thick. HTH!" PM me if you need additional help!!

handsomepants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handsomepants Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:34am
post #3 of 11

What kind of pan are you using to bake your cake in? If it's a 9x13, the top of the cake will be rounded, so remember to cut the top of the cake off so it's level. It will be just a thin layer you take off, but it will make all the difference when trying to stack the layers as pearlydi suggested.

Also, to be clear, I think (correct me if I'm wrong, pearlydi) for the dowels, she meant use a total of three, one on each side and one in the middle. That's all I would use, anyway.

JaidynsMama410 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 11

I'm using a 7x11 pan. I don't plan on cutting it at all because it's a perfect rectangle shape, so I'm just going to keep stacking them up. I plan to tort each cake and put lemon filling in between and then lemon BC in between each different cake. I'm thinking its going to be pretty tall, so thats where I'm worried because I also have to travel with it! (Not too far) I also was trying to avoid covering Spongebob in MMF. I was going to try to get away with dying the BC yellow and using MMF accents for eyes,nose,arms,legs, etc. Do you think thats a good idea? or should I cover him completely with MMF??

handsomepants Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 11

Holy.... That's going to be A LOT of cake! And a heavy one too! How many cakes are you going to stack? You may have to put a hidden layer with dowels in it like you would do with a layered cake, just to be able to support all that weight. Remember, Spongebob is taller than he is wide, so, again, that's a lot of 7x11 cakes.

The BC should be fine, but it will look TONS better covered in MMF, IMHO. GOOD LUCK!!

JaidynsMama410 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 11

LOL I know! I have a feeling this is going to be a nightmare! I've already started baking the 7x11 cakes, but I'm starting to wonder if I should make him smaller. I was thinking of using a 10" square instead and cut that in half and stack it...oh I just don't know! icon_sad.gif

handsomepants Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 11

Just how many kids are going to be at this party? I would take the advice of pearlydi and just use 1 sheet cake and cut it into 3 pieces and stack them. You can torte them too if you want. I think by following her advice, you'll get the right proportion for Spongebon's body and the right amount of cake for the kids. After all, they don't need a 6x6 hunk of cake do they? Lol.

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 11

Don't worry!!!! I bake a 13x9x2 in pan for my purse cakes, cover it in MMF entirely it will be easier to do the sponge holes look. here is a link on how to stack a purse cake you can use the same principles for spongebob http://cakecentral.com/articles/119/how-to-make-a-purse-cake. Also take a look on my Juicy couture purse cake I traveled with it for more than to hours and arrived just fine.

JaidynsMama410 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 11

Ok so I'm officially stressing over here!! My son's b-day is tomorrow, so I'm trying to figure out the procedure in which to make this Spongebob cake. Right now my cakes are in the freezer when should I take them out to thaw? I was planning on filling/stacking it tonight and putting on my crumb coat and let it sit until tomorrow. Then tomorrow I was going to finish it up with fondant. Now my question is...can I let lemon filling sit out over night?? I know the butter cream can but I'm not sure about lemon filling or lemon curd (not sure which one to use) Sorry for all the questions but I'm VERY new to cake decorating

handsomepants Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 11

You should be fine leaving the lemon filling out if it doesn't have any dairy in itNother than butter. The lemon curd should not sit out as it has eggs in it (at least the kind I make).

Don't stress out! You can do it!

JaidynsMama410 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 11

What about the lemon curd sold in jars? I was planning on taking the easy way out and just buying it from the store, if I decided to go with the curd. As for just lemon filling I found an quick and easy one on Duncan Hines:

1 box lemon pudding & pie filling
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp. lemon juice

It says to mix those together and chill. So I assume this one would be alright to leave out????

Thank you so much for all your help!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%