Rice Krispie Treat Disasters

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 3:11am by paulstonia

cakelady11215 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 13

Ok, so what's the trick? I've used them twice in the last couple of weeks and had not-so-good and downright horrible results... Used for turrets on a castle and they wouldn't stand straight and for a puppy's head that just broke apart...like 3 times!! icon_cry.gif For puppy head I put extra cereal to make firmer but still didn't help. And, I also just about "poured" gum glue in there. Still fell apart. Was ok in the refrigerator overnight but she didn't make the car ride to the party. THANK GOD IT WAS FOR FAMILY! icon_smile.gif

So, do you use the recipe for RKT that's on the box? Do you have to make it a few days in advance, mold it and let sit?

Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
malene541 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 13

I make mine at least a day ahead and tell the customer that they might not be the best tasting. I also try and use the least amount of butter as possible. After they have sat out overnight they are usually pretty hard and will hold up. Maybe try to cut out 1 Tbsp of butter and make sure they are nice and firm before you cover them. (I also really squish the treats together so they are super condensed)

aquamom Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 13

Do the RKT purchased from store work better?

sugarlover Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 13

I personally like the sore bought ones better. I made my own and it was a disaster. Never again!

aquamom Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:00am
post #5 of 13

That's what I thought. Someone mentioned(can't remember who) that they used candy melt with Rice Krispies & that worked out well. I plan on trying that next time.

cakelady11215 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:16am
post #6 of 13

thanks everybody, will definitely use these suggestions next time! with the candy melts, would you use that in place of butter? the same amount?

aquamom Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:23am
post #7 of 13

I think the person that posted said they used 50% candy melts and 50% Rice Kripies--no butter. That's what I'm going to use when I try to make a whale cake in the next couple of weeks.

I hve used the store RKT and they worked fine so that will be my back up if I need it.

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:13am
post #8 of 13

I use homemade or store bought.

I think that the key is compacting them really, really well.

I make the general shape that I need and then I roll it, knead it, pound it (if necessary) unitl it's really firm. By the time I'm finished, you can't make out individual cereal bits at all.

I often let the shape set up in the fridge, uncovered, for a day or so. The fridge dehydrates them very well.

If the shape has to defy gravity at all, I'll melt some candy melts and spread that all over the figure, put it back in the fridge for awhile, and then proceed with fondant or candy clay covering.

As for pouring gum glue in there----------introducing any type of liquid is death. It puffs up the cereal and creates rice-meal. Melted chocolate is much better.

HTH
Rae

MissyShay Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:24am
post #9 of 13

Do you shape the treats while they are still warm? Or after they have set up? I heard Lauren Kitchens (From Food Network Cake Challenge) say that she uses shortening in place of butter, but that it doesn't taste great. I have to do the entire castle cake out of only treats, no cake. I've never tried to use them. Would it help to put something in the center to hold it up?
Thanks!

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:31am
post #10 of 13

You can shape them warm or cold. It's a bit easier when they're barely warm.

If you make the castle in pieces--main building, turrets, roofs, etc., you probably don't need any supports if the treats are compressed well.

In the pic below, I made a cardboard form lined with no stick Reynold's aluminum foil. I let it sit in the mold for several days before covering it in fondant. No supports in it--only under it to support it on top of the "lawn".

HTH
Rae
LL

MissyShay Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:52am
post #11 of 13

Wow, that is an awesome house! The cake the little girl picked out is ugly! She picked the only ugly one out of a Debbie Brown Book! It is one big turret in the middle with four smaller turrets around it, decorated with marshmallows and silver dragees. she liked the marshmallows! LOL! icon_smile.gif So I just have to make turrets out of the rice krispies.
Thank you for your help!

kitty122000 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #12 of 13

I do 50% RKT (recipe off the box, no butter) and 50% candy clay. Got it from this thread:

the baseball and bat in my pics were made from this mixture, then covered with candy clay.

paulstonia Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #13 of 13

Yes, you have to compact them. I took a class at cake camp and they actually suggested putting the rice crispie treat, in the pan of course on the ground and putting a cake board over it and stepping on it to get it totally compacted. Mind you feet never actually touch the crispies icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%