Castle Cake

Decorating By DefyGravity Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 1:05am by Lcubed82

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 4

My kids' birthdays are 3 days apart (son will be 5 on the 22nd, twin girls will be 2 on the 25th) so I'm having a joint party for them on the 24th. Its going to be a crazy busy week for me with planning and its also the week before finals, so I'm trying to find ways of making things ahead of time.

Since most of the kids might not enjoy fondant, would it work to roll out my fondant, make the impression of the stones, and let them dry in panels and then put them onto BC the morning of the party? I figure this would also give my castle sharper corners. I planned on making them slightly larger than what I think I would need, and then use an X-Acto knife to trim after the cake is baked and covered in BC so it fits exactly right.

Any turrets will probably be made out of paper towel rolls/ice cream cones.

Does this sound like it would work out okay?

3 replies
Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 4

When I just made my son's castle cake I made the walls and turrets out of pastillage. I made everything 2 weeks earlier than I needed. HTH

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #3 of 4

That castle is AMAZING! I've never had experience with pastillage though, how does it compare to working with gumpaste or fondant?

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:05am
post #4 of 4

I just posted my castle cake. Towers are plastic containers covered with homemade MFF. Cake is covered with MMF. Princess is made of MFF mixed with gum-tex powder. Started on Saturday am, finished after church on Sunday. I had planned to start weeks ahead, but.....

Jaimie yours is wonderful! Something to strive for next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%