Do I Have To Wash The Bowl & Beaters After Each Cake Mix

Decorating By Roxybc Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 10:52pm by dalis4joe

Roxybc Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 11

If I'm making 4 boxes of the same kind of cake mix, is it best to mix each batch seperately? I've heard that mixing double and triple batches of things can sometimes change the final product. If I do mix each batch on it's own, can I save time, by emptying the bowl with the first batch, and then dumping the mix, eggs, oil and water into the same bowl since it's the same kind of cake mix? Will not washing away everthing from the pervious batch be ok or by the time I get to the 4th batch will it start to be effected?

10 replies
Lita829 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 11

I don't bake with boxed mixes but I'd wash out the bowl and beaters between batches. I do when making several batches of any cake, cookie, frosting brownie, pie...etc.

chrissypie Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 11

LOL, I was wondering the same thing this weekend when I had a similar issue. I am curious to hear the responses. I did not wash the bowl out because it was scraped near clean and everything came out deliciously perfect, so it didn't affect the cake at all, but I am curious to hear what others think.

Shelle_75 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 11

I have doubled a cake mix before without it affecting the end product.

If I am doing more than one batch (separately) of the same flavor, yes, I wash everything in between.

lapazlady Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 11

I mix 3 boxes at once. If I'm doing the same flavor, I just keep going, as long as I can use it at once. If I have to wait for the oven I wash the bowl and beater before letting it sit.

cakemom42 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 11

If you have a bowl big enough using all 4 mixes at the same time won't change a thing as long as you are dillegent in mixing well. Then be sure to distribute the batter evenly in each pan (I might weigh it out to be sure)..

If you chose to do it by batch then yes you should wash the bowl/mixer paddle & all items each time.

Roxybc Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 11

Thnks for the replies everyone. I also asked the same question on all recipes and was told they never wash the beaters in my same situation, and that mixing all 4 boxs would be fine. My only other questions is, how long can a mixed cake batter sit out for? My oven can only cook 24 cupcakes at a time, so the 2nd batch would have to sit out for 22 mins, then the 3rd batch would have been sitting out for 44 mins, and the last batch would have been sitting in the bowl for almost an hour, so I don't think mixing all 4 batches would be a good idea in my situation. But how long is an ok time for the batter to be sitting in the bowl before cooking without it effecting the final product?

CakeMakar Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 11

I make several batches all at the time and keep the batter in the fridge between bakings. I've never done more than 3 this way though.

cakemom42 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 11

If you mix all four batches at once just put the batter in the fridge in between bakings & you'll be fine :0)

Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 11

If I'm doing several of the same mix, I don't have a big enough bowl for all at once, I just keep pouring into pans and then mix another batch, without washing it out, I haven't had any problems. Unless of course you wait awhile between batches like if you're waiting on the oven or something then I would wash it out but otherwise it seems like a lot of unnecessary effort.

dalis4joe Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 11

I always wash everything... just because I need a clean bowl to whip my butter and sugar.... but that's for a scratch cake... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%