Suffolk County, Ny Process To Become Legal

Business By Atomikjen Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 9:01pm by msulli10

Atomikjen Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 5

Hi anyone in or near me!

I was wondering if any of you have been successful in becoming a legal business by finding a commercial kitchen to rent? Or if you have an actual storefront, do you happen to know of anyone willing to rent out their kitchen to someone just starting out if this is what you had done to get your foot in the door of cake decorating/baking?

I'm beginning the research process, been working on it for about a month now. Just had my second child 3.12 so it's been a slow go. icon_wink.gif

I'm also in the process of getting a food license/permit to get one step closer.

Anything you guys/gals can let me know I'd appreciate it. I've called the dept. of agriculture, health, etc etc and they keep giving me the run around. Basically I ask one for info. and they send me to another one and then someone gives me info. I can use and will send me the papers via mail but they never send it. It's discouraging at best but I'm not letting that stop me move forward.

Thanks in advance!

Jen =D

4 replies
Atomikjen Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 5

lol i just realized my first sentence sounds bad. icon_wink.gif

in or near suffolk... medford to be exact. =D

msulli10 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 5

Congratulations on your new addition icon_smile.gif I haven't started the process yet because I am waiting to get closer to retirement (about 9 months away). I've heard that it's quite the runaround. Can I ask you some questions? Where do you go to get the food license/permit? Is it an actual class or can you take something online? Is this a county requirement or a state requirement.
I know you are trying to find out more info and here I am asking you more questions.

Atomikjen Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 5

I think it's required for the county you plan to have your business operate from.
This is a web site I got from a friend:

you need a permit number which he's given me so I can get certified. He's got a breakfast/lunch truck business and he's family so that works out well. You basically take the class online and then you take a test at a location. This one says Yaphank.

I'll try to keep up with giving any information I get as I go, but this is a struggle for me right now. There's a good chance we might be losing our house so I'll have to figure out different income in the meantime. =(

msulli10 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you very much. I hope things work out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%