Ugh...is This Really Necessary??

Decorating By antonia74 Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 5:45am by Evoir

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm
post #31 of 63

I have been to a party where the kid had been sick all week, missing school, been to the doctor, the school sent home a form informing the parents that something nasty was going around. Then she had a birthday party where the parents had her blow out the candles & she was eating frosting off the side with her fingers. Ew. But in that case, the party shoulda been canceled altogether. I didn't know she had been the sick kid until later when I was talking to the mom & said she had been out & was why the paper had been sent.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #32 of 63

What a crock!!! This is great :0) Even my teens are laughing at this... :0)

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:22pm
post #33 of 63

icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif Wonder how many mom's will actually buy this!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:42pm
post #34 of 63

So, just to spite these kinds of people, I'm going to let my little one lick the batter spoon and stick it back in the batter!!!!!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:54pm
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

Oh my friend probably WOULD buy two of these! She is a compulsive freak! She used to hold her kids hands down when she fed them baby food so they would swat the spoon and make the food drip off the spoon! Her house, with 2 kids, is so freaking clean it is scary. Plus side, her house is spotless, negative side, her kids are ALWAYS SICK. My house, is, ahem, admittedly less clean, and my kids are never sick. Now, I am not saying anything is related here, but I think because her kids were NEVER exposed to germs of any sort, ( can we say bleach Queen) that her kids never built up and immunity to germs. I could be wrong, but it is a theory anyway! LOL!

Exactly! I'm probably the opposite of a germ-o-phobe! The TEN second rule usually wins out in my house, lol! My kitchen is sparkling but the rest of my house has a tendency to be so-so, I have a very rambunctious toddler and If I was a neat freak I would have to spend every waking moment cleaning and I like spending quality time my family that doesn't involve a mop. Btw, my son is two and a half and he's been sick only twice! Whereas my SIL's (whose home is always perfect and looks unlived in) son is always sick, sore throat, runny nose, you name it, I believe there is a solid connection. People need to chill out.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:29pm
post #36 of 63

i remember reading a few months ago about a study between american children and kids in the philipines and the study showed that the filipino kids had better imune systems becasue basically they were exposed to germs and their bodies were allowed to naturally fight them

a lady in my office runs around with handy wipes and hand sanitizing lotion and her daughter has has so many antibiotics by the time she was about 5yrs old that it was hard to find a brand that the doc could prescribe for her as none of them seemed to work anymore

me... i dont belive in the flu shot and i havent had antibiotics prescribed for almost 20yrs - i like my dirt and obviously it seems to like me

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:54pm
post #37 of 63

LOL! Instead of the cardboard cone party hats kids will be wearing surgical masks at parties! icon_lol.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:14am
post #38 of 63

This is priceless! Thanks for sharing. I love the little video demonstration, complete with green blobby germs. But you know what I don't understand: they forgot to show a video of the rest of the party, where for two whole hours all of the kids play together, touch their noses/mouths/eyes and basically rub every last germ from their body all over every surface of the house and each other. Who honestly thinks that the birthday cake is the only agent for transmitting a sick kid's germs amongst a group of children? dunce.gif

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go share this link with everyone I know! I am glad it's not still April 1, because surely people would think this was a joke.

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:18am
post #39 of 63

Anyone else smell plastic burning?? icon_lol.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:44am
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Duh everyone knows that's how you get Swine Flu, it's transmitted through birthday cake.
And don't forget that dangerous candle wax, it's killer.
I knew a girl who knew a girl who knew a girl who died when she blew out her candles, the wax dripped on the cake and the whole town went up in flames. It was tragic.
This is a life saver.
I'm going to order 2 now.

Oh my gosh, that's not funny... that actually happened to my mother's, cousins, sister's, uncle's, nephew's, third grade teacher's, dog's, previous owner's, hairstylist!! I mean, I wouldn't believe if it hadn't happened to someone I was PRACTICALLY related to!! icon_twisted.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:01am
post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCC

Especially when the sparklers are burning. Nothing like a fire to entertain the children.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:10am
post #42 of 63

On the plus side, it would keep over-zealous parents (or friends of the family) from sticking all sorts of flotsam into the top of the cake and annoying kids (and adults) from sticking their fingers into the cake. Of course, when used in this way, you would remove the cover before the candles are put on and lit.

I've always felt good about the fact that my house has enough, um, clutter that my son has a very strong immune system. He's in 11th grade, and has missed a total of 2 days of school due to illness...since first grade. My mother was a clean freak, and I was out at least 10 days a year.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:44am
post #43 of 63

u r kidding meeee!!!!!!!!!!! hey wait... how about we cling wrap each of the kids before the get to the party?

Ohhh and then.... let's spray them with 90% rubbing alcohol after they touch the gifts... just in case they get sick....

Hey.... I remember growing up and drinking water from the faucet... walking bare foot... sharing my ice crema with a friend... using my friends make up... I mean... we didn't have all these outragous things they invent now and most of us are just fine... lol... anything for a buck I guess.....

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:56am
post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

Duh everyone knows that's how you get Swine Flu, it's transmitted through birthday cake.
I knew a girl who knew a girl who knew a girl who died when she blew out her candles, the wax dripped on the cake and the whole town went up in flames. It was tragic.
This is a life saver.

Oh my gosh, that's not funny... that actually happened to my mother's, cousins, sister's, uncle's, nephew's, third grade teacher's, dog's, previous owner's, hairstylist!! I mean, I wouldn't believe if it hadn't happened to someone I was PRACTICALLY related to!! icon_twisted.gif

ROTFLMFAO!!!! *that second F= fat not ..well you know...

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:06am
post #45 of 63

Instead of investing all that time and money on something so stupid, wouldn't it be better to invest time in teaching the kids how to carry themselves at a birthday party or anywhere else for that matter? Like "cover you cough", "don't poke the cake with your fingers", "don't sneeze on anything or anyone for that matter."???

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:15am
post #46 of 63

Oh my.....

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:07am
post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

Instead of investing all that time and money on something so stupid, wouldn't it be better to invest time in teaching the kids how to carry themselves at a birthday party or anywhere else for that matter? Like "cover you cough", "don't poke the cake with your fingers", "don't sneeze on anything or anyone for that matter."???

No, No, No...... Since when would we want parents to teach manners to their children? That would take, like, time and involvement and stuff.....

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

"Stop licking Stevie, you don't know where he's been!!!"

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:42am
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCC

wait a minute. . . doesnt heating up plastic cause cancer??

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:26am
post #50 of 63

I am by no means a germophobe, in fact I am a very relaxed mom. I don't routinely use antibacterial anything much less go around with hand sanitizer. But I do get icked out by the huffing and puffing that goes on as a kid - or worse, kids! - blow out the candle on the cake. I attended a party where the 2 year-old birthday boy actually dropped a big splat of drool on the cake as he attempted to blow out the candle. The mom just laughed and still cut and served the cake, including the drooled on part. Yuck.

I wouldn't go so far as to buy or use a slobber stopper but I do take precautions at my own children's parties. I have a rule that only the birthday celebrant can blow out the candles. I also put the candles on a cupcake or cupcakes instead of on the main cake. Since I can't stand to share other people's spit spray, I assume they wouldn't want to share my boys' either.

Now, if the celebration and the cake is just for me an my brood, all that gets thrown out. I can live with my guys' germs, heck I have laundry basketfuls of their sweaty, germy stuff that I deal with everyday!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 10:23am
post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

That plastic thing looks like a cake dome the grocery stores put their frozen cakes in. Does it not?

Thats exactly what I was thinking, they just glued the candles to the top. However as a germaphobe myself, I've often left the dessert or cake in my glass covered cake dish until time to put the candles in and blow out. Kids naturally want to touch the cake, and in my experience.,someone always sends their sick kid to the party. Of course I'm not gonna buy one of these plastic lids, I just try to keep the cake a little out of reach.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 11:12am
post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenKat

I am by no means a germophobe, in fact I am a very relaxed mom. I don't routinely use antibacterial anything much less go around with hand sanitizer. But I do get icked out by the huffing and puffing that goes on as a kid - or worse, kids! - blow out the candle on the cake. I attended a party where the 2 year-old birthday boy actually dropped a big splat of drool on the cake as he attempted to blow out the candle. The mom just laughed and still cut and served the cake, including the drooled on part. Yuck.

I wouldn't go so far as to buy or use a slobber stopper but I do take precautions at my own children's parties. I have a rule that only the birthday celebrant can blow out the candles. I also put the candles on a cupcake or cupcakes instead of on the main cake. Since I can't stand to share other people's spit spray, I assume they wouldn't want to share my boys' either.

Now, if the celebration and the cake is just for me an my brood, all that gets thrown out. I can live with my guys' germs, heck I have laundry basketfuls of their sweaty, germy stuff that I deal with everyday!

I agree. I'm usually pretty relaxed about stuff, but last year for my daughters birthday I made a fake cake for the kids to blow out . Styrofoam with ribbon around and candles stuck into it. ( its in my pictures ) With everyone so sick in her school at that time and the media freaking people out about HINI...
Maybe I should market my idea!!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 11:22am
post #53 of 63

That is hilarious! It does look like something I'd want to be seen at someone else's party (I'm a total germophobe).

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 11:47am
post #54 of 63

That reminds me of an episode of MONK. He is a complete germaphobe and said he had invented a germ sheild for blowing out birthday candles!!

Look im pretty neurotic and even I think that is ridiculous!!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:01pm
post #55 of 63

WAIT!!!! NO MORE "D N A" CAKES? Everyone knows that slobber, licked fingers, and other unidentafiable things are what makes cakes so much yummier! This is going overboard for sure.

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:18pm
post #56 of 63

he can't actually have people that buy this thing. that is just plain nuts!

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:27pm
post #57 of 63

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I thought we blew air at the candles, not a mouth full of spit.....ya know, the same air that we have been sharing throughout the entire party!

People need to relax!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:29pm
post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by liha21

he can't actually have people that buy this thing. that is just plain nuts!

You'd think that... but you'd be wrong. icon_surprised.gif There are some people that will either A. Buy anything they see on TV, internet, or in stores. or B. Buy it because the thought of other people's germs freaks them out THAT badly!

My MIL will not let my son's have a sip out of her cup, but my mom relishes the dog-like slobber slop that my babies leave on her. People are just different. And some are reaallllly different! icon_lol.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:13pm
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

This is a life saver.

HOLA COW, Melivra, that's the funniest thing I've heard all year!!!!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:13pm
post #60 of 63

I thought this was a joke. Must post on fb. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%