Ugh...is This Really Necessary??

Decorating By antonia74 Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 5:45am by Evoir

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:08pm
post #61 of 63

That's hilarious! Although, I wouldn't buy it.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:11am
post #62 of 63

I've been in some odd positions before when it comes to this. When you show up to a bday party and the kid slobbers all over the cake while they attempt to blow out the candles LOL. Then your kids run over there wanting a piece of cake........I mean really, what do you say? No, no cake for you! Cake Nazi Mommy! I just can't knowingly eat someone else's slobber! LOL
Personally, as a Mom and a Caker.....I think any child under the age of 5 should have their own smash cake.....so they can spit and slobber on it all they want! icon_biggrin.gif
That would be a much better idea in my opinion than this silly looking contraption someone came up with

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:45am
post #63 of 63

I agree, it looks pretty silly! I guess if you are in a paediatric cancer ward or something with your young child's immune system being compromised, then yes, I can see why a cake guard might be needed. ADULTS with suppressed immune systems (for whatever reason) know well and good to stay away from ANY food that has been breathed upon or handled by anyone else, ESPECIALLY at a todler's birthday party (unfortunately I speak from experience here)! So, yeah - a kiddies ward might find them useful.

From personal experience, my kids attended a preschool as 3 year olds, where meals were provided (as some kids were there for long day care). When it came to birthdays, the cook would take $20 off of the parent of the bday kid, and make a cake everyone could eat (accounting for food intolerances etc), cover it in frosting and sprinkles, then place a layer of cling wrap (saran wrap) directly over the frosting surface. After the candles were blown out, the plastic wrap was lifted with candles inside, and thrown away, and the cook would cut up pieces for everyone.

Call me a germaphobe, but I was actually comforted by this practice. Remember, kids that age are still toilet training!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%