Horizontal Ribbons, Help!

Decorating By careylynn Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 3:10am by Ren715

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 6

Everytime I have tried to do horizontal ribbons of some sort on a cake, the ribbon either rips, stretches out or gets that elephant skin look to it. Is there a trick to doing this or do you need more than one person? One to hold the cut ribbon and one to attach it to the cake? HELP!

5 replies
JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 6

I like to cut mine and then roll them up and then unroll onto the cake and it keeps it from stretching. I have never had any trouble with the elephant skin doing it like this. Hope this helps.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with the above poster. I used to have the same problem. Another thought is to let your fondant dry a little. If it's too moist it can increase the stretchy factor.

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:48am
post #4 of 6

Thanks! Do you put the glue on the cake where you want the ribbon or on the ribbon itself before putting it on the cake? How long do you let it sit?

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:20am
post #5 of 6

I put it where I want it to go that way the ribbon doesn't stick to itself when you roll it up.

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:10am
post #6 of 6

I also roll mine up and then roll it out. It not only prevents stretching but gives you total control over placement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%