How Far In Advance Can A Cake Be Completed

Decorating By debbief Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 8:28pm by debbief

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 3

I have been asked to make a graduation cake for a June 14th party. I'm leaving for vacation June 12th. I would need to have the cake completed and picked up on the 11th. I always make sure I thaw and decorate the cake no earlier than one day before it's needed. Should I pass on this one or can it sit for a few days and still taste fresh. Maybe if they refridgerate it until the party?

2 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 3

I'd pass on it. You can't do them all. Enjoy the vacation and don't stress about having to bake when you should be packing/planning. Then you'll also have it in the back of your mind on vacation too, "Is it okay?" "Is it fresh tasting?" What's the likelihood a customer will damage/hit a cake in their crowded fridge after 3 days? Pretty high!

If you bake/ice it on the 10th, this one will be 4 days old by the time they eat it, not including leftovers. thumbsdown.gif

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for your advice Antonia. That's really what I thought as well. I'm new at this and I'm really just a hobby baker. I wondered what others do and how far in advance was too far. This will be the first time I've had to say no icon_sad.gif But I'd much rather turn it down than have it be anything less than great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%