Can I Reduce The Air In My Buttercream?

Baking By Roxybc Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 6:29am by sweetiesbykim

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 8

I've made a ton of buttercream but I think I beat it too much, so there are more air bubbles in it than I normally have. I've got it in a big bucket ready until I need to use it in a couple of days. If I take the bucket and drop it a few times, do you think that would do anything to remove the bubbles? Is there anything that I can do? It still tastes great, but it's just not as pretty when it's pipped out because you can see the bubbles.

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 8

If I get bubbles in mine I use a wide spatula and press against the buttercream against the side of the bowl until I work them out. This works very well for me.

Roxybc Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 8

Ooh thanks. I've got 11 pounds of it, so I'll have to do it in a few smaller batches. Perhaps this is a job that can be done while watching some tv on the couch!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 8

as it sits, it will settle. I notice that mine gets 'creamier' as it sits a day or so. A quick 'beat with a spoon' and it's nice and smooth.

It's why I like to make mine way ahead of time.

Roxybc Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 8

/\\ Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 8

you can also throw small batches on the mixer with a paddle on low speed to knock out some of the air

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:11am
post #7 of 8

On that note.....Indy...I watched Sharon Z.'s dvd, and she says that if you fill your KA to the top of the paddle, that it lesses the air coming into the bowl ...is this true?

I mean so far I havent had a problem with your recipe. But I was thinking it makes sense, right, if the paddle is whipping around in the bowl, and its open at the top, then the open shape of the paddle would bring air into the BC...right?....but If we have the bc to the top covering the paddle loops, then no air can come in....Whats the verdict and is this a legit way of thinking?
Tks.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:29am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onceuponadreamcakes

you can also throw small batches on the mixer with a paddle on low speed to knock out some of the air

This is what I do, too. Works like a charm! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%