Software-Globalbake, Z-Bake, Bake Smart, Which One?

Business By sweetartbakery Updated 15 Nov 2014 , 2:45am by D Bake

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 23

I'm looking for an all around software for my new bakery. Something to handle everything from online orders, point-of-sale, time reporting, reports, inventory, cost analysis.

I hear a lot of talk about CakeBoss on here, and know everyone likes it, but I think I need more. Have any of you with retail stores used one of the above, or something better? These are all pretty darn expensive! ouch!

Background... my bakery will be retail pastries, customs cakes, breads, and light lunch. It will be me and one or two other employees.

22 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 23

Cakeboss should be sufficient for such a small scale bakery/cafe. The others were designed for super high volume food bakery manufacturers such as Wonder Bread, Hostess, etc.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 23

I currently use Cheftec. It's amazing software but it's not compatible with my computer so I it's almost impossible for me to use. Besides it being very expensive!

I want cake boss and may purchase it soon (first I'm getting a new computer). My only hesitation with cake boss is the weights it assigns ingredients. For example, I use almost 5 oz. per cup of a.p. flour and they use 4 oz. per cup of flour. When you take that and multiple it by 10 or 20 batches (which I do regularly) it can completely ruin a recipe. I'm thinking I could just enter my already converted recipes in weights, but what happens if someone hits the multiply option (or scale up or down) and it's on cups? Then my whole recipe could be screwed up and I might not be aware of the problem if I'm not told.

In Cheftec they don't assign a weight per ingredient. I enter weights based on each recipe. When I scale it up or down, it only uses the weight I've already entered.

HTMS

sweetartbakery Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:29am
post #4 of 23

so can cake boss handel time reporting (for employees) then? I didn't see that it did point-of-sale slips. I checked out the sight and it looked awesome if i just continued from home doing the custom cakes.

I haven't heard of cheftec. guess that is another one to throw into the mix. blah! so many options. I just want one thing that does EVERYTHING! sales, inventory, credit cards, scale, online...

I Talked to the guy from BakeSmart today. Uh, nice but really strange. Almost turned me against the product. He's the owner, which frightens me. I guess the super smart usually are odd though. :-/

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:12am
post #5 of 23

No, CakeBoss does not handle payroll or employee reporting at this time.

sweetartbakery Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:55am
post #6 of 23

stink! you guys (cake boss people) should plan a super cake boss! I would buy it since everyone loves the current version!

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:06am
post #7 of 23

We use Bakesmart. All I can say is that choosing a software program is like choosing the President.....you pick the lesser evil.

sweetartbakery Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 23

jennifer- so do you like it or do you wish you would have had another one. z-bake looks good to me at this stage too. z-bake's website is pretty crappy, and i would think that software people would do a better job with that. maybe just stupid, but it was my initial reaction. then again, a fancy website doesn't mean a good product!

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetartbakery

a fancy website doesn't mean a good product!

Then again, being able to competently program a user friendly website speaks volumes about their abilities to program a user friendly product. Doesn't need to be fancy (truth be told, I'm often turned off by overly "fancy" websites*... just give me the information that I'm looking for about the product.

* for example, I hate sites that have music playing on them (as it overrides or plays in addition to something I'm trying to listen to... or even if I'm not trying to listen to something else, it forces their sound choices on me), as well as those that require you to click on something just to enter the site (usually wasting my time showing me some stupid javascript fluff that does nothing but show off).

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 23

If you want to call me sometime I can tell you the good and the bad of bakesmart. My number is 318-308-1474 or the bakery number is 318-445-9561

sweetartbakery Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:47am
post #11 of 23

so nice of you jennifer! I'm going to download the demos of the 3 that look good to me and get an idea of how each work. then I'll call if I'm still stumped! I'm always bad with decisions, so expect a cal.. ha ha ha!

cakesdivine Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:49pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetartbakery

so can handel time reporting (for employees) then? I didn't see that it did point-of-sale slips. I checked out the sight and it looked awesome if i just continued from home doing the custom cakes.

I haven't heard of cheftec. guess that is another one to throw into the mix. blah! so many options. I just want one thing that does EVERYTHING! sales, inventory, credit cards, scale, online...

I Talked to the guy from BakeSmart today. Uh, nice but really strange. Almost turned me against the product. He's the owner, which frightens me. I guess the super smart usually are odd though. :-/

No, you need to use an accountant for any employment issues, believe me you really don't want to deal with that yourself. Payroll is a major headache and very time consuming. If you make one little mistake it can cost you a small fortune!

You are asking for basically a POS system, so if you do want that then you are going to have to spend the very big bucks for those other programs... thing is, if you aren't that big, the cost will take years to recoup and that doesn't include the upgrade and tech support costs. You are thinking way too big right now. Will you even need employees at the beginning? Your volume will probably not even be close to what you would need to justify the expenditure.

Baby steps are best! Then when your growth warrants the need for a POS and all inclusive program then you go for it. To do so now could put you out of business due to causing cash flow issues.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #13 of 23

Just a side note here, as a programmer analyst, coding software, which is what I do for ATM, Credit and Debit cards, is NOTHING like coding a website (just look at mine). they are two completely different types of programming, so don't let that put you off.

Also, most programmers are not personable, especially the good ones, they are still the stereotypical geek, so don't let the owner put you off either.

Just look at the products and customer service they have for fixing a possible bug or support issue.

cakesdivine Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 23

The owners of cake boss company is a man & wife team. She is the customer service and caker who inspired this program, very out going, very friendly, and extremely diligent and helpful when it comes to everything. The programmer is the husband and he is amazing at what he does! There are no tech support fees like most programs for businesses have. And yes code for websites is html code for application and systems software uses other programming languages so extremely different!

My dance studio management software cost me $495 plus $199 for annual tech support, AND if I want to upgrade I have to purchase the whole new version at the higher rate, NOT just the difference in price between old & new versions. It sucks!

sweetartbakery Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:09pm
post #15 of 23

cakesdivine. Thanks for your opinion, but I do actually need a biggish system. I do need employees to start too. I am opening a full service bakery. we're talking not just decorating, but lunch menu, pastries and breads. There is no possible way that I can be open 7 days a week, handle all the baking, AND be standing at the counter when people walk in to buy a loaf of bread. Just not possible. I thought about just writting out manual sales slips for each item (like on the pads you can take orders with), but then I have to pay someone to sit and do data entry for me (since it will be impossible for me to have the extra hours every day). It's actually much cheaper to buy the software for $1000, and have it forever, than to pay someone, and all the ones I looked at have free support.

I did take the baby steps as a home baker though, so I appreciate that comment. this is a full scale business, not a hobby anymore. My paretns own 12 businesses between them (none bakeries), so I'm not completely in the dark. cake boss just doesn't do what I need it to do. my mom has done payroll her whole life and she will do mine for this too.

sarah5008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah5008 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:25pm
post #16 of 23

I started my office career in Payroll and now am in HR. I know of a FREE website that has RELIABLE paycheck calculations that you can use for any state. It's called Paycheckcity.com. They do not offer a time keeping system, but if you aren't ready to purchase a larger software that has one yet, paycheck city will at least enable you calculate your employee's paychecks.

doughhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughhead Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:14pm
post #17 of 23

We have been using the Bakesmart POS system since October. It works very well, they are very helpful, and we cut our credit card costs in half using the company they have a relationship with. Starting this month (May) we have switched from Quickbooks to Bakesmart for our invoicing. Is it seamless? No. There is a learning curve, the screens are different, you need to learn how to find a report. But it is all there, and far less cluttered than Quickbooks. I hope by the end of summer to use Bakesmart for our formulas.

A point should be made on a change like this in your systems. A friend of mine at King Arthur Flour passed on advice he learned from a customer. What ever the cost of a new system you put into place, you need to figure you will spend an additional 10% in time to implement your system. In the case of Bakesmart for us this has meant data entry, time on the phone with them teaching us how something works, and making corrections. We ran the invoicing system for two weeks parallel to Quickbooks to catch any errors.

One important thing to say in response to comments regarding the people at Bakesmart is that they have been very helpful, easy to work with, and have always been there if we have had any issues with the system. This includes early an early morning call when we had a POS problem.

I am a very deliberate person when buying anything for our bakery. Sometimes this drives my staff crazy, but in the end I have never done anything rash, and in the fifteen years we have been in business I have only a few things I wish I had done differently. Buying Bakesmart is a choice I feel very good about, and so does my staff.

Gerry Newman
Albemarle Baking Co.

sweetartbakery Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:22pm
post #18 of 23

thanks so much. I haven't used a nice software yet, just my own insane paper sysem...which isn't working anymore! So I'm hoping I'll escape the transition from one to another. I'll going to download the trial version this week. I obsess over things like this too, so glad to see someone else that does the same!

lulus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lulus Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:53am
post #19 of 23

I use Bakesmart for my business as well. I am also a full scale bakery and cafe, so I understand where you're coming from.
Yes, Bakesmart has a learning curve, but the support they offer has been key. Is it perfect? No. Will it handle everything you want it to? Yes.
I also know what you mean about the owner, but he is a good guy; we've had several conversations over the last couple of years.
Just a suggestion - if you do end up with them, ask them what hardware they require, and buy it yourself. The company they referred me to had the worst customer service, and I found out the hard way that they had sold me refurbished equipment.
Please feel free to PM me if I can help at all. Good luck - it's a tough business, but extremely gratifying.

an1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
an1961 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 3:36am
post #20 of 23

I have looked at the packages mentioned in this post but they are all very expensive and seem old and outdated. We did a demo with FlexiBake today which was excellent. Does anyone have any experience with FlexiBake?

RomanR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RomanR Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 1:21am
post #21 of 23

Hi

I've been evaluating both BakeSmart and Flexibake for use in a retail bakery. Both programs appear to do what I need, so I was wondering more about how easy / difficult are the companies to work with? What kind of support do they provide? How responsive are they? How often to they publish updates?

Thanks,

Roman

KampuTad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KampuTad Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 12:02pm
post #22 of 23

QuickBooks is a good software for your accounting needs, it has some great features related to your accounting needs like calculation of employee payment, wage payment, tax calculation, printing check, direct deposit option and many other features.. I have written a review on top accounting software, which would be helpful in knowing each accounting software in detail.

D Bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D Bake Posted 15 Nov 2014 , 2:45am
post #23 of 23

You were using BakeSmart in 2010.  How do you feel about the upgrade to their new program?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%