Has Anyone Halved Sugarshack's Buttercream Recipe?

Baking By menas Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 9:06pm by TexasSugar

menas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
menas Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 10

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the post. I want to try this recipe, (I've read all the rave reviews!), & I really don't want to waste my high ratio shortening (have to order, shipping is unreal!) so I'd like to make my first batch a small one. Anyone have tips?

9 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 10

I usually make a small batch - just remember it's 1 cup shortening to 1 lb of PS. I decrease the amount of creamer proportionately. My mixer does not hold the full amount - the max I can do is 4 lbs of sugar and 4 cups shortening.

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by menas

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the post. I want to try this recipe, (I've read all the rave reviews!), & I really don't want to waste my high ratio shortening (have to order, shipping is unreal!) so I'd like to make my first batch a small one. Anyone have tips?

I keep reading about high ratio shortenting. Is that Crisco or something else??

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBeesCookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by menas

I keep reading about high ratio shortenting. Is that Crisco or something else??

Hight Ratio is something diffrent than Crisco. You can find it online from diffrent baking places and even Amazon.com

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 10

I buy the grocery store brand shortening (Harris Teeter) - it is high ratio. I have read California has banned it because of the transfats, but most states still allow it.

Shermie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shermie1 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 10

I was in Atlanta over the weekend and went to this wonderful store called Cake Art. They have almost EVERYTHING..... They had hi-ratio shortning - 3 lbs for $11.99
I am going to make my first batch this week using the hi-ratio. Have used off brand before and I dont think I did it right. So now I have all the real stuff and I am going to try again. This Cake Art store has a neat website to. I don't think I can post it here but you can google it... just look up cake Art in Tucker GA.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 10

A large part of the success of Sugarshack's BC is that the mixing bowl gets filled to capacity which really cuts down the amount of air that gets into the icing. I don't use her recipe but I have tried halving mine and it gets lots of air bubbles as compared to when my bowl is completely full. You can freeze this icing and then thaw and re-whip gently when you want to use it in the future.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

I buy the grocery store brand shortening (Harris Teeter) - it is high ratio. I have read California has banned it because of the transfats, but most states still allow it.

Hi-ratio and transfats are different things.

menas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
menas Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 10

Hi & thanks for the responses! I just finished my first batch of Sugarshack's Frosting & it is great!! Thanks TNTfundraiser for the tip about 1 cup shortening to 1lb sugar. I did 3 & 3 and I have more than enough! I do have air bubbles which I knew I would since it didn't completely fill the bowl but this is a great tasting not sooo sweet and incredibly smooth icing! Better than anything I have ever seen with Crisco. I too recently found some off store brand shortening with transfat in it & thought I hit the jackpot! What I'm reading now that's not so?!! Tell me it aint so TexasSugar!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 10

I'm not sure how to describe high ratio shortening, since I haven't used it.

But High ratio and Transfat are not interchangeable terms, they are describing different things.

Information on shortening and transfat...
http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/faqs/f/hydrogenated.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%