Guitar Cake. What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

Decorating By dchockeyguy Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm by Bannette

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 22

I have agreed to make a guitar cake for a client for THIS Friday. Please keep in mind I have a full time job and do these cakes on the side. My plan is to start with a square cake. Does that sound right, or is a round cake better?
If anyone has any tips on how to do a cake like this, I'd appreciate it. I figure I'll cover the sides in darker fondant, cover the top in a lighter color, make a silver snake of fondant to cover the seams. I know how to do the frets and such I think, but would still appreciate tips.

21 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 22

I actually have started with sheet/rectangle cakes on the two guitars I have done.

On the last one I did, I covered the whole thing in black fondant then did a white fondant cut out on the top. All depends on the look you are going for.

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 22

If you need a larger sized cake, I would try 2 round cakes. One slightly larger than the other. Then I would overlap the cakes slightly, trace where the one overlaps, carve out the bottom one and fit the two together. Of course I have never made a guitar cake, so... icon_rolleyes.gif It justs seems to me to be an easier way for me to get a nice rounded shape as I am not the best carver. Good luck and post pics of it when you're done! icon_smile.gif

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I actually have started with sheet/rectangle cakes on the two guitars I have done.

On the last one I did, I covered the whole thing in black fondant then did a white fondant cut out on the top. All depends on the look you are going for.

I started w/ rectangular also. Covered the body in white fondant and then airbrushed. Anything smaller wouldn't have worked for me, but I was doing a full size replica. If it had been smaller, either squares or rounds might have worked.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 22

Mine was done with a sheet cake. I covered the sides in black fondant and the top in marbelized fondant. I actually made a pattern with my own guitar and just layed it on top and carved.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 22

I also used rectangular cakes. Mine was a half size electric guitar so I covered it in red and added the white sections. I used fishing line for the strings as they did not have to be edible. By the sounds of you description you are making an acoustic guitar. Try google for a template and enlarge it to get the size you need to print and carve around. makes it so much easier then trying to visualise the shape.

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:03am
post #7 of 22

How big do you want it? Wilton makes a guitar pan and when I used it, I just carved the top a little differently. I have a picture on my photos of one that I did for a 10 year old with a Marquee cake to go with it

Colleen

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #8 of 22

I have done several (a friend joked that I should start advertising in music storesLOL) I always start with a half sheet. I make the neck out of rkt. Actually if you prepare its a straight forward easy (if not time consuming) cake.

My guitars are in my photos if you want to look (dont feel obligated not trying to up my views icon_wink.gif ) you can pm if you want and I would be happy to help

mama2_3 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #9 of 22

I checked out momma28's guitars and they are pretty cool. Looks like she's done a few, so I guess she is pretty close to an expert on guitar cakes! thumbs_up.gif

Bannette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bannette Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:16am
post #10 of 22

I use sheet cakes. I will try to post some pics.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:04am
post #11 of 22

This link has a template - all you need is a 9X13 inch rectangular cake pan. I did it in fondant (most recent picture in my photos) and it turned out decent and was SUPER easy to do - hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/electric-guitar-cake/11f9e698-0220-4993-997a-967c4112d34c

momma28 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 11:32am
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2_3

I checked out momma28's guitars and they are pretty cool. Looks like she's done a few, so I guess she is pretty close to an expert on guitar cakes! thumbs_up.gif

LOL not an expert but getting better icon_smile.gif My favorite is the Chris Lockwood guitar. Wish I could post a pic of the original (it got removed icon_redface.gif ) it looked EXACT and Chris Loved it!

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 11:56am
post #13 of 22

If you want it life size, I used 2 11x15 but you have to do some planning to make it fit.

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:02pm
post #14 of 22

do you have to do it in fondant?
I did mine in bc and used wilton color mist to darken the edges. Can't help with fondant. lol

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:21pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by idocakes4fun

Quote:

I started w/ rectangular also. Covered the body in white fondant and then airbrushed. Anything smaller wouldn't have worked for me, but I was doing a full size replica. If it had been smaller, either squares or rounds might have worked.

Yep - me too...did a 12x18 sheet and carved from there. I didn't do mine in fondant, so I can't speak to that part.
I also remember someone saying they used spagetti for the strings. HTH!

momma28 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

Quote:
Originally Posted by idocakes4fun

Quote:

Yep - me too...did a 12x18 sheet and carved from there. I didn't do mine in fondant, so I can't speak to that part.
I also remember someone saying they used spagetti for the strings. HTH!

I extrude my strings out of fondant but wait until you are at the venue, the car ride jiggling will break them

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:33pm
post #17 of 22

Thanks for all of the helpful tips! I don't want the cake to be TOO big (They aren't serving a ton), so I went with 10" cakes for this. I plan to carve the cake tonight, then spend a couple of nights decorating it. It will be covered in fondant for those who asked. The side will be a dark brown marbleized fondant, and the top will be a light brown.

Momma, how do you get your RKT not to sag for the neck? I was thinking of doing those, but it seems like they would droop! I was planning on doing foam core for teh neck, but I'd really rather do it in something edible if possible.

You must use a really small hole for your extruder to get those strings out! wow!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:51pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

LOL not an expert but getting better icon_smile.gif My favorite is the Chris Lockwood guitar. Wish I could post a pic of the original (it got removed icon_redface.gif ) it looked EXACT and Chris Loved it!

You can download a free program (like photoshop) called GIMP and you can just do a collage with the real guitar and then your cake, here is one I did.......the top 2 photos are of the actual guitar and the bottom is the cake.

For the OP, mine was lifesized and served about 50 ppl. I started with a 12"x18" cake and carve a little away! HTH
LL

mama2_3 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:10pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

You can download a free program (like photoshop) called GIMP and you can just do a collage with the real guitar and then your cake, here is one I did.......the top 2 photos are of the actual guitar and the bottom is the cake.

For the OP, mine was lifesized and served about 50 ppl. I started with a 12"x18" cake and carve a little away! HTH

Wow! icon_eek.gif How did you do your coloring? It's amazing!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:00pm
post #20 of 22

just black fondant and then I painted it with silver luster dust mixed w/ clear vanilla (for the silver streaks) gold luster dust and vanilla (for the gold) and white powdered food coloring mixe with vanilla (for the white streaks)

I made this cake before I really even "made cakes" and was freaking out like the OP, especially when the week before it was due I was emailed the 2 photos on the top!!! I had no idea 1. it was a black guitar or 2. that it had paint splatters/drips all over the thing!!! lol

I went to my local cake deco. store and tried to figure out anything and everything to come up with silver, gold, adn white that could be painted on!

mama2_3 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

just black fondant and then I painted it with silver luster dust mixed w/ clear vanilla (for the silver streaks) gold luster dust and vanilla (for the gold) and white powdered food coloring mixe with vanilla (for the white streaks)

I made this cake before I really even "made cakes" and was freaking out like the OP, especially when the week before it was due I was emailed the 2 photos on the top!!! I had no idea 1. it was a black guitar or 2. that it had paint splatters/drips all over the thing!!! lol

I went to my local cake deco. store and tried to figure out anything and everything to come up with silver, gold, adn white that could be painted on!

I guess I didn't realize those would show up so starkly on the dark background. I can't wait to try it on something! thumbs_up.gif

Bannette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bannette Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm
post #22 of 22

Yes, I used spaghetti that I airbrushed I just made sure to join them with royal before I airbrushed. Momma28 are really good make sure you look at them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%