Ok New Problem! Why Does This Happen?

Baking By chrissypie Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 3:43pm by TexasSugar

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Eveyone!

Last week I posed the question about blowouts/air bubbles with buttercream. Well, thankfully, this week, did not have that problem. I was making my daughters birthday cake, trying to smooth icing, when, I had another problem! This time, the cake crusted so much, that by the time I was done icing, I could not viva or hot knife it! It was overcrusted! It was just tearing the icing up when I tried to use the hot knife. So bizarre! I have never had that happen before! It is like the week of stuff that never happened before. I was so frustrated, I figured I would do a basketweave instead but the icing would not go throug the tip properly, it kept getting stuck and the basketweave was "shredding". It seemed to me that maybe it was not "blended" enough. I don't know. It tasted great, not gritty. No different than how it usually comes out, but it sure did behave different? Any advice??

9 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 10

What receipe did you use? Maybe you didn't use enough liquid? Maybe too much stabalizer?

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 10

I've had that problem with frozen cakes a time or two, was the cake cold?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 10

what was humidity in home like? lower than normal? things crust faster in low humidity.

sounds like too little liquid in icing.

---

a way to sometimes rescue crusted bc so can smooth -- boil water -- allow to cool some but should still be warm. Put in spray bottle use only for spraying on cakes and spray entire surface of iced cake -- often, tho' not always, will soften the bc enough to allow hot knife smoothing.

kathyran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyran Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 10

Could your icing have been too stiff?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 10

Saturday morning I did a course 1. I checked everyone's icing before they bagged, adjusted the ones that needed to be doctored and had them get everything ready to go. When we got to the rose everyone's icing had gotten dry, when it was good before.

My conclussion, the weather. We are in that inbetween time of the year, atleast where I am. It is too warm for the heaters to kick on, and yet not warm enough to really turn on the AC. My thought are also with Doug's and the humidity.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 10

I'm with kathy it sounds like your icing may have been too stiff.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:10am
post #8 of 10

Sounds to me like 2 problems. 1- icing too stiff. 2- lumps in the icing (either butter/shortening that wasn't completely blended in or lumps of PS).

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the replies! Yes, humidity was low, and could be too little liquid. I didn't think so, because it wasn't very stiff, but I have to rethink! Thank you! I appreciate the advice!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 10

I'm thinking the weather dried the icing out, which makes it not act nicely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%