$80 For A Kopykake Air Brush A Good Deal?

Decorating By DebbyJG Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 6:47pm by DebbyJG

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 13

I have someone on Craigslist offering to sell me their almost brand new Kroma Jet KopyKake air brush along with a full set of 12 colors. Is this a good deal? I never considered getting an air brush before - I'd only ever seen it used on chinzy grocery store cakes - but now I'm wondering if this would be something I would use.... What do you think? Should I jump on this, or is there something I should know about the KopyKake? For whatever reason, I can't find a single review about it on Amazon or the usual product review sites I go to. Any help would be SO appreciated before I go spend $$ on this!

Thanks!
Debby

12 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 13

I think thats a VERY good deal. KopyKake is a good brand.

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 13

Fantastic deal. The only bad thing about buying it on Craigs list though is that you have no warranty if something is wrong with it.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 13

Go to the Kopy Kake site, check out the various airbrushs they have, and see what the normal retail price is, then you can decide if $80.00 is a good price for the used air brush. I have the KopyKake Air Master, and I love it, I don't know what the Kroma Jet sells for but if you can afford it I would suggest you go with the better one, even if you have to wait for a deal.

DebbyJG Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 13

KatieKake - what do you use your air brush for? I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it. I don't like the look of the grocery store style of air brush cakes.. there must be a better use for it than that, though. Do you use it for stenciling? Is it a good way to color fondant?

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 13

I love spraying cakes with pearl spray and spraying fondant with dark brown makes it look like chocolate. You can also use it with stencils and if you are really good, to make pictures (I'm not that good)

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 13

I bought a used one from an ice cream store. $100.00 and it came with 12 large paints and 6 small, 2 large bottles of cleaner, a handful of transfer sheets, about 50 cake boxes and many birthday and mother's day picks. works great. i mostly use mine to paint fondant. especially black, silver and gold.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 13

Its a great way making black, dark blue and true red and also for all kinds of highlights and dimensions on the cake!!! Buy it and try it! I know you'll fall in love!

DebbyJG Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 13

Hmm, using it to get things red or black without coloring the whole frosting is a very good thought.

Maybe I'll look up some youtube tutorials on air brushing cakes...

DebbyJG Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 13

I bought it! Now to find some tutorials on how to USE it.... icon_smile.gif

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 13

congratulations!!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 13

www.howtoairbrush.com