How To Make Figures Ahead Of Time W/out Them Getting Hard?

Decorating By Ruth0304 Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm by LateBloomer

Ruth0304 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 8

Hello,

I would like to make some figures out of MMF but I don't need to use them until the 26th and I want them to be soft so that I could curve the figures around the cake. How do I make the figures ahead of time w/out them getting hard? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ruth

7 replies
all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know how to keep them soft but if you made them ahead and use a pan the size you were making the cake and positioned them as they are to be on the cake when finished would work, wouldn't it?

Ruth0304 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 8

Duh..... lol, that makes so much sense, sure it should work. But how do I make it hold its shape with out actually sticking it to the pan?

all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 8

cover the pan with plastic/or parchment....if it's for the side, prop the pan on its' side while the figure dries (ooooooooooor, if you had a dummy the same size...would free up your pan should you need it...ooooooooor, a piece of poster-type board formed around the pan to get the same curve..be sure to cover it with parchment/waxed paper/freezer wrap/plastic wrap...)

Ruth0304 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 8

I actually do have dummies, what would I do with out you guys.

Thanks, I will try drying them on the dummies icon_biggrin.gif

Joybeth Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 8

Also if you make the figures and leave them in an airtight container they will remain soft enough to work with.

all4cake Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybeth

Also if you make the figures and leave them in an airtight container they will remain soft enough to work with.

(depending on the length of time items will be stored and the humidity factor and the type of 'glue' OP is using, this method might produce souring and/or mold...not saying it will...just that it could)

LateBloomer Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 8

When I make figures ahead I put the head onto a cocktail stick and make sure that it can turn when placed in the body. That way I can put the figure where I want and turn the head to look in any direction.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%