Melting Rabbits

Decorating By jenng1482 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 10:29pm by BlakesCakes

jenng1482 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 3

I am preparing cake bites by the dozens for an upcoming craft fair. I usually use milk chocolate almond bark. As you all know, chocolate can get pretty expensive. Do you suppose that the chocolate that thoe giant easter rabbits are made of will melt down and then harden okay? Easter candy is 50% off at walmart today and I would love to take advantage of the sale. Please share your insight and experience with using this chocolate. Thanks!

2 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 3

Not sure, but I had a chocolate rabbit melt in my car this weekend, took it inside and it firmed up nicely, however, it no longer had a shine. It had that grayish color that you get when the cocoa butter rises to the surface. It was dark chocolate, hopefully, milk chocolate melted under more controlled situations will do much better - the car just doesn't allow for proper tempering! LOL!

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 3

If the rabbits you purchase are real chocolate, they're in temper when you buy them. If you want the things you dip to look nice, then you need to keep the chocolate in temper when you melt it.

There is info here on CC for this process. You can also google it.

If the chocolate is too hot or cold, the fat gets out of it and blooms on the surface. It also will be soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%