Fondant

Decorating By paradisepalms Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm by paradisepalms

paradisepalms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paradisepalms Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:49am
post #1 of 7

I am newly enjoying covering cakes fully in fondant. My question is, I am rolling on corn starch to prevent sticking and working fairly quickly, yet I always seems to be working with veeerrryyy dry fondant by the time i am putting it on the cake. How can I prevent this and keep the fordant moist. Also.. how do i remove the cornstarch escpecially on darker colors to make it look fully clean???

6 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:02am
post #2 of 7

I don't use corn startch... as per Norm Davis... not good... but I have a ? for you... are u using a silicone mat? where r u rolling it? is it MMF? there are many variables as to why/how/what....

I use the Ateco mat and just a tiny bit of shortening.. once is on the cake... then I dust a little PS to use the smoother on the cake... that is all....

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:13am
post #3 of 7

Why kind of fondant are you using? I've always used cornstarch but some people recommend powdered sugar because it actually heals the fondant instead of causing little tears.

You can either brush your cake with Vodka or water or even better, steam it with a steamer. It works awesome!

Personally, I had also found that I really like working with Fondarific brand fondant. I can roll extremely then (1/16") and it doesn't tear.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:16am
post #4 of 7

tracy.... thanks... I will try that one for sure... I always use Satin Ice (I use MMF for cake drums & dummt cakes mostly) but I will try fondarific... is that the one that tastes like buttercream???

dacash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dacash Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:25am
post #5 of 7

I don't use cornstarch or PS. I just went to the fabric department of my local craft store. They have rolls of clear vinyl there just like rolls of fabric. I just tape that down on my flat surface & roll the fondant out on that. It does not stick to the vinyl. Just make sure that when you store your vinyl, you roll it up on a tube, do not fold it because that will cause creases in it which will then show up on the fondant when you roll it out. Hope this helps.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:38am
post #6 of 7

I bought a yard of the vinyl at wal-mart for around $2.00. Love it. I do use cornstarch after I get the fondant on my cake so that I can use my smoother but I just use a clothes steamer to remove that and the steamer gives my cake a nice shine.

paradisepalms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paradisepalms Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to reply... I now have some wonderful suggestions. I am going to try to order the fondarific.. Does CC have it??? I just picked up some vinyl and I am thrilled to know that PS heals fandat. Thanks again for all of you time!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%