What Do U Do In The Hot Summer With Fondont Covered Cakes?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 8:43pm by Polkadot79

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:23am
post #1 of 9

I just want to plan ahead. Is there anything I can do in the hot summer days about my fondont covered cakes? They seem to get very sticky in humid weather. Is there something I can do help that alittle?

8 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 9

Unless you have them out in the heat you really shouldn't have a problem with the fondant. Just make sure you don't use any IMBC or SMBC underneath the fondnat if you are going to have them in the heat.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 9

Unless you have them out in the heat you really shouldn't have a problem with the fondant. Just make sure you don't use any IMBC or SMBC underneath the fondnat if you are going to have them in the heat.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 9

I have a clause that explains (spells out) that the ideal temperature for any cake is between 70-75 degrees Farenheit. A degree or two shouldn't matter, but in the case of an outdoor wedding in 90+ degree humid weather, and if they choose to display the cake in such an environment, I take no responsibility for the results.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 9

I have had much success with fondant in the heat. Last summer I had a purse cake and it was 90 degrees indoors. The cake sat out for 1-1/2 hours before cutting and other than being very soft the fondant was great. I would stipulate having a fridge to hold the cake till the final set up for the reception and then recommend the cake cutting to follow the food service. Other than that you should have no problem if the event is indoors and AC works even half as well.

Cat

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I have had much success with fondant in the heat. Last summer I had a purse cake and it was 90 degrees indoors. The cake sat out for 1-1/2 hours before cutting and other than being very soft the fondant was great. I would stipulate having a fridge to hold the cake till the final set up for the reception and then recommend the cake cutting to follow the food service. Other than that you should have no problem if the event is indoors and AC works even half as well.

Cat

What frosting did you have underneath? I live in hot humid south GA and had a frew problems last summer. I'm dreading this summer.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 9

I have heard ganache is wonderful to use in the hot, humid weather.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 9

I just used basic buttercream...made with crisco not butter.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

I just used basic buttercream...made with crisco not butter.

I just don't care for buttercream made with crisco, but I may have to use that as an alternative in the summer months. I could fill with my normal buttercream and ice in crisco buttercream. (I have a hard time referring to buttercream made with crisco as buttercream though since it has no butter in it. icon_biggrin.gif) My mom used to always use the crisco icing on her cakes and people liked it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%