How Much Cocoa To Use To Make Chocolate Buttercream?

Baking By Spectra Updated 11 May 2010 , 6:02pm by Barb1959

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:06am
post #1 of 17

I use the modified recipe of Wilton's:

1/2 C shortening
1/2 C butter
4 C icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla
water...

But I've never made chocolate and would like to. So can anyone please tell me how much cocoa to use and if I need to take some of the icing sugar out?

Thanks!

16 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:52am
post #2 of 17

I use 1/3 cup melted chocolate in my bc. Just cool so that it's not too hot but still pourable. I like the taste better than using cocoa. I can't answer your question as to how much cocoa but just wanted to pass onto you how I make my chocolate bc.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 17

I love the recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. Yummy.

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 17

Thanks, I never tried melting chocolate.. Can I use the semi-sweet chocolate chips? I have that currently in my cupboard.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra

Thanks, I never tried melting chocolate.. Can I use the semi-sweet chocolate chips? I have that currently in my cupboard.

yes, tho' depending upon how much you use, you may have to add additional liquid.

I do 8oz melted Ghiradelli per 1 batch recipe of Indydebi's recipe. (and since I make double batches normally, that means 1 whole bag melted). I find I have to add at least 1 to 2 TBS of extra milk after I fully blended in the melted chocolate.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 17

I also make my chocolate buttercream with melted chocolate. I cannot image why you could not use the semisweet chocolate chips melted.

mamawrobin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 17

Yes semi-sweet will work just fine. Like Doug said you will probably have to add just a little more milk (liquid).

In my first post I stated that I use 1/3 cup of melted chocolate but it's actually probably more as I add about 1/2 of a 12 ounce bag to one receipe of Indydebi's buttercream. It may measure to be 1/3 a cup icon_confused.gif I came up with the 1/3 cup from somewhere icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 17

I've only made chocolate BC with cocoa, I like the idea of the melted Ghirardelli much better!! So, you add the melted chocolate after you've gotten it the ps blended well???

mamawrobin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 17

Yes, you add the melted (cooled) chocolate to the already prepared buttercream.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 17

I like the melted chocolate (have used chocolate chips, candy melts and bakers squares) over cocoa powder unless it is the Special Dark.

I usually use a bag of melted chooclate to a recipe of icing. For cocoa, it can be anywhere from a 1/2cup to a cup or more. Both depend on how dark in color and how chocolatey you want the icing to be.

As was mentioned before you do want to add a little extra liquid as the chocolate can affect the consistancy some.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 17

From the Wilton recipe, use 3/4 of a cup of cocoa, plus more water as needed.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 17

I just keep adding cocoa til it tastes right. Taste great, and less effort than melting chocolate.
Also, chocolate milk! Use it instead of the water - magic!
xx

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #13 of 17

ok, there's a bag of Special Dark chips in my cabinet that were intended for occasional munching icon_wink.gif they will now be headed for a batch of BC! Thanks for all the info!! icon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:23pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

Normally I use another recipe with melted chocolate too.. but I tried the recipe on the back of the Hershey's container over the weekend for a family Easter cake. WOW that was some good chocolate BC! [/url]

deesweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deesweets Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:40pm
post #15 of 17

Does anyone know if the recipe for chocolate frosting from the hershey's can crust? I need one that i can either apply fondant over it completely or as accents.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:56pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

That's what I use when I need chocolate icing. And it crusts well, too!

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:02pm
post #17 of 17

All this talk about chocolate icing, I wish I had an ocassion to make a cake. My next cake will have that chocolate icing. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%