Tape That Sticks To Fondant

Decorating By jj1957 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 10:58pm by Elcee

jj1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jj1957 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone had much luck getting some type of painter's tape to stick to fondant good enough to airbrush on it, but it is able to come off without ruining the fondant under it?

Have seen some use blue painter's tape on some of the TV shows, assuming it was used on Satin Ice, but I have not had any luck. Can't get any to stick to Wilton fondant.

9 replies
shorty56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shorty56 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 10

i've gotten painters tape to stick to the fondant i make (jen dontz's recipe). you do have to make sure the fondant surface is brushed clean, no powdered sugar residue left on it, and definitely no shortening on it.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 10

I haven't found one that sticks... icon_sad.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 10

I'm not sure I'd want to serve or eat a cake that had had painter's (or any other kind) tape on it. Surely there must be another way?

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 10

I AM OFFICIALLY A FORUM ADDICT!!! YOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO yeahhhhhh

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 10

call me crazy, but aren't there a ton of toxins in the sticky stuff on the tape?

Why not use the plastic stuff they make stencils out of, and wet it so that it will stick? I don't airbrush, but it is just a suggestion.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:50am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I'm not sure I'd want to serve or eat a cake that had had painter's (or any other kind) tape on it. Surely there must be another way?

That's what I always comment to my husband when I see decorators using that tape on TV challenges -- yuck!!!

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:46am
post #8 of 10
Quote:

What about something like this?

http://www.drillspot.com/products/1308770/anti-seize_technology_36151_food_grade_tape?s=1

I have no idea if it would stick to fondant, but it says "food grade" tape

Elcee Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:

That's what I always comment to my husband when I see decorators using that tape on TV challenges -- yuck!!!

I'll have to start paying more attention; I haven't noticed them using tape. We all know, though, that those cakes are not really meant to be eaten. icon_smile.gif

Elcee Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

I AM OFFICIALLY A FORUM ADDICT!!! YOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO yeahhhhhh

Congratulations! I just noticed the I've graduated from a junior to a regular member! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%