Cake Mixes And Toxins...

Decorating By Sparklekat6 Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 10:48pm by Elcee

Sparklekat6 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 10

Got the following text in an email today:

Pass this on to ALL in your address book. You never know whose life you may save by doing so. For those of you at work, PLEASE remember to check your cupboards when you get home tonight!!!

This is confirmed on Snopes http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

A student at HBHS (high school) had pancakes this week and it almost became fatal. His Mom (registered nurse) made him pancakes, dropped him off at school and headed to play tennis. She never takes her cell phone on the court but did this time and her son called to say he was having trouble breathing. She told him to go to the nurse immediately and proceeded to call school and alert the nurse. The nurse called the paramedics and they were there in 3 minutes and worked on the boy all the way to the hospital. He came so close to dying. Evidently this is more common then I ever knew. Check the expiration dates on packages like pancakes and cake mixes that have yeast which over time develop spores. Apparently, the mold that forms in old mixes can be toxic! Throw away ALL OUTDATED pancake mix, brownie mixes, Bisquick, cake & cookie mixes, etc., you have in your home.

icon_evil.gif Seriously? The fact that there is an email being circulated to tell you to throw out expired items your pantry just concenrs me. You need to be told this? Hello! There's an expiration date on them for a reason people! I'm losing my faith in humanity.....

9 replies
7yyrt Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 10

Oh, for heavens sake! Is this stupid thing making the rounds again?

Opened and expired pancake and cake mix can develop mold, when the mix absorbs moisture. If you are allergic to mold, you need to be careful of expired mixes.
http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/foodfacts_2006/May06.pdf
I queried a food safety listserv to gather information on this, and the consensus was that
the allergic reaction was most likely linked to mold in the mix. The preservatives in the
mix may have deteriorated on extended storage, allowing mold to grow in the mix. One
food safety expert noted: some folks are highly allergic to molds. Generally, pancake
mix, flour and other dry foods will not support mold growth since there is insufficient
water present. However, of the three primary classes of microorganisms: bacteria, yeast
and mold, mold requires the least available water to grow. If the flour/dry eggs or milk in
the mix picked up moisture during storage, it might be possible to support mold growth.

indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 10

i'm still trying to figure out how a tennis player has a cell phone on the court w/o it falling out of a pocket or off of a carrier. seems that would be a hindrance to playing the game. icon_confused.gif

And my kid knows to go to the school nurse BEFORE calling me.

glendaleAZ Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 10

Hi Sparklekat6,

Thanks for sharing this information.

I saw something simular on the news a while back. A college kid died from eating expired pancake mix.

How many of us know we're allergic to mold, I don't. It's not something that I've been tested for. So, I'd rather toss the expired mix than take a change. And for that matter, how do I know that the people I'm serving the mix to don't have an allergy to mold. Better to be safe than sorry.

costumeczar Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 10

That's weird.

kizrash Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

i'm still trying to figure out how a tennis player has a cell phone on the court w/o it falling out of a pocket or off of a carrier. seems that would be a hindrance to playing the game. icon_confused.gif

And my kid knows to go to the school nurse BEFORE calling me.




I didn't know tennis kits had pockets icon_surprised.gif and what a coincidence that she 'never takes her cell phone on the court but did this time and her son called to say he was having trouble breathing.' icon_lol.gif

cathyscakes Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 10

I am suspicious of these stories too, but I think it has to be a opened box of mix that has expired. I don't understand why if this is so serious the cake mix producers would have a more serious warning on the box, other than best if used by. By the way, I use to play tennis, there is a bench on the court where you could have your cell phone, you definitely wouldn't have it in your pocket.lol.

Loucinda Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 10

Some of the very first info (on snopes) states it was an EXTREMELY OUTDATED package. Ok, I would think that anyone would know not to eat ANYTHING that is EXTREMELY outdated. icon_confused.gif Use common sense people!

ttehan4 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 10

Just a funny note about expired stuff.. My MIL saves all kinds of stuff, well anyway she bakes these cookies that look like peanuts and at all family functions everyone request she make them. She made a batch and they didnt turn out right, but she still served them. She ended up checking her ingredients at home and found that her baking powder had expired in .. are you ready......... 1985!!!! LOL!

Elcee Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 10

If he was allergic to the mold in the pancake mix, he is most likely allergic to penicillin, no? I'm not sure that I even trust Snopes anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%