How Many Flower Nails Would You Put In A 16 Inch Cake Pan?

Decorating By glendaleAZ Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 1:36pm by Cookie4

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:49am
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone,

I have a 16 inch cake that I need to bake and was wondering how many flower nails I should put in it so it will cook evenly.

Thanks,
Tammy

5 replies
cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:33am
post #2 of 6

When I bake a 16" round cake, I use two cake mixes. I have never used a baking nail in any of my cakes and they all bake beautifully. I have to say I do have a commercial convection oven and I bake my cakes at 300 degrees.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:37am
post #3 of 6

I just made my daughters wedding cake a few weeks ago and used 4 flower nails. The cake baked nicely and evenly.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for your replies.

Cookie4 - how many box mixes did you use per pan? Or, did you use scratch, and if so, how full was your pan? I've never made a 16 inch cake before, so I'm not sure about what I need to do to insure it turns out well. Its for my sons wedding in two weeks, and I just want to be sure that it tastes just as good as the other 10 cakes Im making for the wedding.

If anyone has any other advice for baking a 16 inch cake, Im all ears.

Thanks so much,
Tammy

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 6
Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 6

GlendaleAZ: The Wilton Chart is a great place to get the batter quantities. The 15 cups sounds about right for the 16" pan, but I don't measure, I use the 1/2 to 2/3 full method. I used the WASC (White Almond Sour Cream recipe) found here on CC. I added Wedding Bouquet flavoring from a lady that makes it for me in Louisiana.

Also, here are some facts on package mixes to help you:

Box Mix Yields:

Duncan Hines - 5 1/2 cups batter
Pillsbury - 4 1/2 cups batter
Betty Crocker - 4 cups batter

These measurements are approximate and do vary. Chocolate cake yields less quantities. This means that a box mix with a higher yield will save you money, not only on the mix, but the eggs, oil, sour cream . . . etc.

And, if you have never sifted a box mix you might want to consider doing so for your wedding cake. You will be very surprised at the globs of fat and salt crystals that remain at the bottom of each mix. This will ensure that you cake has no clumps of mystery items in the middle.

Best wishes for your wedding cake and I hope you will upload your photo for all of us to enjoy! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%