For Cc'ers Who Put Their Cake Batter In The Frig

Decorating By glendaleAZ Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm by leah_s

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:36am
post #1 of 15

I was just wondering if you put the cake batter directly from the frig to the oven, or do you let it sit on the counter first so it will come to room temperature and then put it in the oven?

Thanks,
Tammy

14 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:01am
post #2 of 15

why would u fridge ur batter?

glendaleAZ Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:12am
post #3 of 15

I guess it's because I thought I'd have to since the other cake would take around 1 to 1/2 hours to cook, and I didn't think it was a good idea to leave it on the counter for that long (raw eggs and all). I guess I really don't know for sure if I have to put it in the frig or not.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:22am
post #4 of 15

Tammy,
Here's a thread that may be of help to you.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654626-.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:16am
post #5 of 15

I took batter straight from 'frig to oven. But I only put it in the 'frig if I was done .... leftover batter. Batter in the pans waiting "in line" to go on the oven, I just left on the counter until oven space opened up.

glendaleAZ Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:18am
post #6 of 15

thanks Juleebug that thread did help.

I tried to do a serch on this topic, but I guess I didn't do it right as couldn't find anything.

Have a good night. : O )

Tammy

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:42am
post #7 of 15

[quote="dalis4joe"]why would u fridge ur batter?[/quote]

I refrigerate batter because I make up a lot of it at once. Most recipes have 6 pounds of sugar, for example. And I go from fridge to oven.

dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 11:01am
post #8 of 15

so let's say you make a batter... and you don't use it all or you make a batter and need to use the same cake pan for baking multiples... you wuld ten fridge until your next batch? or you mean like save it for a few days for another cake? I wanna understand this because I always assumed you need it to use your batter within a certain amount of time...

If this is right... this is good... I had no idea... let me know

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 15

You can put your batter in the frig until you are ready to use. If I have batter that has been put in the I make sure it is covered tightly. When I take is out, I let it sit for a little while to get to room temperature and re-mix on med speed for approx 60 secs. HTH

glendaleAZ Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks everyone for your help. I had a large cake to bake last night and only had room for one pan at a time in my oven, so I put the other in the refrigerator until it could go in the oven. I wasn't sure how my cake would turn out after being in the frig for more than an hour, but in the end it was fine.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 15

Having only one oven, and have about 6 layers to bake, If one layer doesnt require all the batter I will cover it tightly put in fridge and use it in next layer. Never had a problem with it. It goes from fridge to oven.

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 15

I left a bowl of batter in the fridge over night one night last week because I was too unwell to finish what I was doing. Put oven on next day, cake cooked great, no problems at all . HTH

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:23pm
post #13 of 15

The Cake Mix Doctor book says you can refrigerated cake batter for up to one week in a tight sealed container. For chocolate cake mixes I sometimes cover mine and cool it over night to get a better chocolate flavor YUM that way! And I usually do straight from fridge to the oven with no problem icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 7:29pm
post #14 of 15

what if you make your cake with whipped egg whites? wouldn't it deflate? I guess that's the term.. not sure... but I fold in my egg whites at the end...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #15 of 15

I don't do recipes with whipped egg whites. I have to have recipes that work for high volume baking. And that hold well (several days to a week) in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%