Red Velvet & Choc Icing

Baking By mcdonald Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 8:07pm by cakesrock

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:22am
post #1 of 8

I know the typical frosting on red velvet is cream cheese but has anyone ever used chocolate frosting?? I have a grooms cake and they want red velvet but decorations, etc.. in chocolate and was wondering if anyone had ever used chocolate before?

7 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:36am
post #2 of 8

this girl did a throw down with bobby flay some months ago. with red velvet. she uses chocolate icing. but wouldn,t tell her recipe. it is her best selling cake in her bakery. it sorta looked like whipped ganache. hth

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:37am
post #3 of 8

this girl did a throw down with bobby flay some months ago. with red velvet. she uses chocolate icing. but wouldn,t tell her recipe. it is her best selling cake in her bakery. it sorta looked like whipped ganache. hth

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 8

interesting.. thank you..I might go to his website and see what I can find!!

Thanks..

Destinys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destinys_Delights Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 8

I just had someone order red velvet with my raspberry Chocolate Buttercream. Not sure if it is going to taste right, hope it does!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 8

on stuff like this, I tend to take the view of "why WOULDN'T it taste ok?"

Red Velvet is basically a chocolate cake with red food coloring (I acknowledge this is a super-simplified description .... it's meant to be). Chocolate cake with choc icing is pretty common.

I'm just one who doesn't understand who is in charge of making food rules, such as "red velvet MUST have cream cheese icing", and have never known anyone who has been arrested by the food police for violating one of these rules. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 8

Here's the most amazing white choc cream cheese icing recipe for red velvet that I discovered through a post on this website. I didn't care for the cake as much (I personally prefer Chef Stef's). But this icing is to die for! icon_smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000407551
Just scroll down to the "Dreamy Creamy white chocolate cream cheese frosting". Oh, and I didn't specifically use the white choc (with cocoa butter ) they called for and it still turned out wonderful. Everyone I make this for wants the recipe!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 8

PS: I forgot to mention that I quadrupled the recipe, cut the wh chocolate in 1/2 and added 1/3 cup of icing sugar. Don't ask me why, but it worked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%